Alpha RENDERBEAST - 3D Engine

S

Sam (Deleted User)

I'll have you know this is the only thread I've made up my mind to not unsubscribe from to until I at least know it is released (i probably won't do it then either because I'm interested in hearing updates anyway). So if this thing doesn't ever get released there better be a good reason for that. i.e. you might get hit by a bus tomorrow, idk. Probably the most interesting thing I've seen in the history of GM in a long time.

Can't wait! :D

L

Lonewolff

Thanks @Samuel Venable that's very awesome of you. :cool:

Firing up my IDE right this minute. Feeling re-inspired.

[edit]
Getting to grips with how my engine hangs together again. The code base is pretty huge.

I might start looking at a reflection system next to see if I can bring some more life to these scenes.

(Haha! I just realised that my Coke label is on upside down. Bloody manufacturing faults :p)

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Lonewolff

Thanks man! I'm sure you'd agree with 8K or even 16K it would be crazy good! :D

(Time for me to buy a ten thousand dollar camera - hahaha! Nah, not just yet :p)

rIKmAN

Thanks man! I'm sure you'd agree with 8K or even 16K it would be crazy good! :D

(Time for me to buy a ten thousand dollar camera - hahaha! Nah, not just yet :p)
You could rip some 4K / 8K footage from Youtube, although the filesizes might be a bit of a putoff just for a small demo.

L

Lonewolff

You could rip some 4K / 8K footage from Youtube, although the filesizes might be a bit of a putoff just for a small demo.
True.

Although, I am confident I can bring the files sizes back down with no losses by making a ten second loop or so.

The file size in the last demo there is big because the video is well over a minute (maybe a minute and a half - I don't have it in front of me). Pretty sure I can make it a ten second loop without the end user even knowing. Will try that later on today and repost the demo.

The last demo was a bit of a rush job to show proof of concept.

L

Lonewolff

With the core engine now being at a usable standard, it is time to make life easier with an editor.

That started half an hour ago. (Hope UE4 doesn't mind me borrowing their model for the test phase :D)

[edit]
Updating the above image as I progress to save spamming every ten minutes. :D

[edit 2]
In the process of making a self contained animation module called 'AniMonster', which will later be merged with RenderBeast upon completion.

So far so good.

Last edited:
C

ChaoticNeutral

hold up, you made a 3D ENGINE in GAMEMAKER? That's crazy. You're amazing. Knowing this can be accomplished in Gamemaker gives me a lot more confidence! :D

L

Lonewolff

hold up, you made a 3D ENGINE in GAMEMAKER? That's crazy. You're amazing. Knowing this can be accomplished in Gamemaker gives me a lot more confidence! :D
Yeah, there's actually a few of us doing similar 3D things lately.

L

Lonewolff

Last edited:

Anixias

You have any updates in the last few months? A plan on releasing any of this? I'm not looking for anything nearly this powerful, I just want 3D shadows in GMS2 lmao

S

Sam (Deleted User)

As I mentioned earlier (https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/renderbeast-3d-engine.58538/#post-357968) this is using a DLL.

Every single line of code is written from scratch. No GPL / LGPL nasties hiding anywhere.

But I also mentioned there is no reason why I can't broaden this to all platforms using .so, .dynlib, etc...

Although these targets are not really a high priority for me (very low priority in fact).
Or, if you contribute large pieces of code to a GPL project, and you happen to be the only copyright holder of those said pieces of code, relicensing is always an option. Quite often you can still do it even if you aren't the only copyright holder, if you get permission from the other people involved for relicensing. Overdoing this can kill the point of GPL though, so even if they are cool with it, it should be done with care. I just wanted to point this out, depending on context, GPL isn't always such a "nasty" thing, especially in the case of using executable binaries, like one of my extensions does. It doesn't actually link to them dynamically or statically, it just executes the standalone application while reading output and accepting command line parameters, is another way to work around these license limitations (kdialog/zenity).

DukeSoft

So, are we going to see any of this stuff? :D Maybe make it an open source repository if you're not continuing work on it?

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
So, what is happening with this? It would be a shame to leave it to disappear.
Given that the author hadn't been on forums for a while, probably not much - try emailing from Marketplace contact to ask.