• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Renaming bug?

G

Guest User

I'm having a hard time trying to rename sprites and objects in gms 2.

Whether I press f2, right click and select rename or open the object and rename from the editor, the name still jumps back to the original name as soon as I hit return.

is this a known bug and is there a work around?

example, if I have a sprite named spr_shoot_l and want to duplicate it and rename it to spr_shoot_r, the instant I hit return, the name switches back to spr_shoot_l. Also I can create a new sprite called spr_shoot_r, but if I try to rename that to something else.. same problem.

Funnily enough, its only sprites that won't rename. I have no such problem renaming objects or rooms, only sprites. weird?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you haven't already, browse your project sprites folder using Windows Explorer and check if there is a sprite already created with that name.

I recently tried to make a new room and call it "rm_init", but it would not accept the name and revert back to whatever it was before (room1 or similar).

I check the project folder directly, and found that a folder and room called rm_init had been created on disk, it just wasn't showing up in my resource tree.

I deleted the rm_init folder, restarted GMS 2, and then I was able to create a room called "rm_init" as normal.

G

Guest User

Thanks, I tried that and it doesn't seem to be the case for me.
I even tried renaming spr_shoot_l to:-

spr_shoot
spr_shootright
shoot_right
xyzzy

and still, it wouldn't let me rename it.
it's very puzzling