• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Removing an instance from room editor freezes GMS for 1+ minutes - what's going on?

Phoebe Klim

I have a room with about ~3000 instances, and removing instances > Selecting instance > Pressing Delete > freezes GMS for a minute or longer.
Task manager shows that RAM usage jumps to 3GB, though it's not the limit - I've seen it go to 6GB when removing instance. My PC only has 8GB RAM, so it just maxes it out most of the time. Having just GMS open doesn't help much.

Is this some sort of technical issue or that's just GM limitation? Room with ~1000 instances works fine.

I'm using GMS2, IDE v2.2.5.481, Steam Runtime v2.2.5.378
On Windows 10

EDIT: Also, it seems that every freeze increases the amount of RAM GM uses. WTF?

Last edited:

obscene

Yeah, sounds complete normal for GMS1. The slowdown is the rendering. I never had thousands of instances but I had dozens and it was almost unusable. Thousands of instances just seems like a really bad idea. You should probably be creating instances procedurally instead. Maybe it's time to jump to GMS2.

obscene

My bad, somehow I got it in my head you were using GMS1. Well, I just can't say I've seen the same issue but I probably never have more than a few dozen instances in a room. I still want to say that if you have 3k instances in a room you might be going about things in the wrong way. Not sure if it applies to your situation or not, but an example might be creating grass instances procedurally at runtime instead of putting them in the room editor.