Distribution Remove .win File

• Thread starter Gillstronkulous
  • Start date
G

Gillstronkulous

In Game Maker Studio 2 Desktop, when I choose to build my game to a Windows executable, I get a .win file with my .exe. I tried deleting it, but the game won't run without it. I like being able to distribute my game to a single file, is there any way to do this in the new version of Game Maker?

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
If you compile with YYC, the .win file will be embedded inside the executable instead. That does not resolve any other files, however.

G

Gillstronkulous

@Yal: When you compile to Windows in Game Maker Studio 2 Desktop, your files automatically come out compressed. What I meant is that I like to distribute my game's executable as a standalone file. Thanks for the reply!

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
@Yal: When you compile to Windows in Game Maker Studio 2 Desktop, your files automatically come out compressed. What I meant is that I like to distribute my game's executable as a standalone file. Thanks for the reply!
That option has been removed because cabinet extractors don't work across Windows versions and often cause false alarms for antivirus software.

You can take the contents of the zip file and feed it through UPX, cabinet or some other self-extractor creation tool yourself, but don't say I didn't warn you about what can go wrong with these.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

@Mick made an easy to use tool for what you need. However it should be noted that it should really only be used if you are using it on Windows 7. Otherwise, EXE files generated by it will have issues on various Windows platforms. For example, if you make it on Windows 10, it won't run on Windows versions before Windows 10. If you make it on Windows 8, it won't work on versions of Windows before Windows 8. None of these problems occur on Windows 7, so if you are going to use it, build it on Windows 7, then it should run on all modern Windows versions.

http://www.gamephase.net/gms-zip-to-exe/

Last edited by a moderator:

Mick

@Mick made an easy to use tool for what you need. However it should be noted that it should really only be used if you are using it on Windows 7. Otherwise, EXE files generated by it will have issues on various Windows platforms. For example, if you make it on Windows 10, it won't run on Windows versions before Windows 10. If you make it on Windows 8, it won't work on versions of Windows before Windows 8. None of these problems occur on Windows 7, so if you are going to use it, build it on Windows 7, then it should run on all modern Windows versions.

http://www.gamephase.net/gms-zip-to-exe/
You should be able to use my tool on Windows 8 or 10 if you copy the 32-bit IExpress executable (+dependent files) from a Windows 7 installation. The files are:

Windows 7 32-bit:
\Windows\System32\IExpress.exe
\Windows\System32\makecab.exe
\Windows\System32\wextract.exe

Windows 7 64-bit:
\Windows\SysWOW64\IExpress.exe
\Windows\SysWOW64\makecab.exe
\Windows\SysWOW64\wextract.exe

Copy the files to the \Windows\SysWOW64 directory of Windows 8/10 (take a backup of the ones already there).