• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Remove the Slow Double-Click

D

DifferentName

I just figured out the slow double-click for changing resource names, and it feels really odd and unintuitive. I can't think of anything else on my computer that uses a slow double-click, and I noticed some people have reported it on this forum as a bug because it's so strange they thought it wasn't on purpose.

Fast Double-clicking the name of a resource tab doesn't seem to do anything right now, so it could be used to rename the resource. In the resource list, you could rename things by clicking a resource that's already selected, without having to get the timing of the slow-double click correct.

xot

GMLscripter
GMC Elder
I can't think of anything else on my computer that uses a slow double-click
I can: Windows

You can rename files with two clicks, as long as it's slower than a double-click. Yes, this is technically just clicking an already selected file but the mechanics are scarcely different.

D

DifferentName

They are different though because you can also click once one a selected file in windows which is not possible in GMS2.
Exactly. The slow double-click in GMS2 requires a specific timing, which feels like a bug until you figure out how it works. A single click on an already selected item would work much better.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Go to Preferences > General > Input and you can set the slow click detection time. Adjust it to whatever "feels" right to you. :)

mMcFab

I gotta say, I really don't like the slow click thing either. I know there's an adjust option, but no adjustment feels right to me. The timing feels bad and if you're too slow for your slow double click, it's void anyway. It's an odd adjustment that I just don't like. At all. Not even a little, and I'm not sure a case could be presented that would convince me otherwise.
That's my completely honest opinion on this.

As a side note, on windows, what I consider a "slow double click" opens files the same as a normal double click - unless I wait longer than it would take me to right-click->rename.

I also don't see why we need to slow click on a script title in a tab either to rename it, since fast double click does nothing anyway. What else does slow actually do? Renames resources? I haven't actually come across anything else yet.
Honeslty, it just feels janky. I don't know the true reasoning behind adding it, but I can't think of a good reason for it to stay (maybe for those silly Mac computer mice with the single button)/ There are easily better ways of allowing resources to be renamed.
Normally, I just double click (regularly, not slowly) on a name itself to rename (or use the right click context like normal), and on the icon to open. It's what makes sense to me.

I really like GMS2, but it definitely has it's problems. Some, we can adjust to - like the new workspace - it is better when you get used to it imo. But I just can't get used to this weird gimmick

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
A single click "feels" right to me... Why not make that an option?
Because that's nuts. If you use a single click to rename, you can then no longer move things around, you can no longer just select anything - trying to pick objects/sprites for editing in the room editor would be impossible.

So... respectfully. no. just.....no :)

Ubu

If you use a single click to rename, you can then no longer move things around
Of course you can. A rename click is activated on release. A click + move would then work fine. I'm sure you must have tried to click+move an icon on your windows desktop. And single-click a selected icon to rename it. Works like a charm ;)

you can no longer just select anything
Again, of course you can. Any resource not already selected will be selected. Again the same principle as with the desktop icons.

trying to pick objects/sprites for editing in the room editor would be impossible.
Again, click+move. No problem.

So... respectfully. no. just.....no
So... respectfully. why not? :)

Last edited:

Ubu

I'm fine with slow doubles to rename. Thats how windows work.
No it's not. In windows you single click a selected item to rename it. Renaming an unselected item might "feel" like a slow double but it's technically selecting an item before single clicking it to rename it. The point is that GMS2 won't allow single click renaming of selected items which is somewhat counterintuitive.

MilesThatch

You know I notice that people seem to be complaining about trivial things a lot. (And I am too guilty of it). Almost like they're looking for something to complain about when there are plenty of serious issues that need to be addressed.

Seriously, how much if a change is a single click going to do you? You're going to shave off 0.3 seconds to pressing F2? I wonder what are you going to do with all that time you've saved?

No it's not. In windows you single click a selected item to rename it. Renaming an unselected item might "feel" like a slow double but it's technically selecting an item before single clicking it to rename it. The point is that GMS2 won't allow single click renaming of selected items which is somewhat counterintuitive.
Umm, are you on a mac, buddy? Open any folder, nothing is selected. First Click selects a file, Double clicking opens that file and Second Slow Click on the title itself renames it.

Ubu

Seriously, how much if a change is a single click going to do you? You're going to shave off 0.3 seconds to pressing F2? I wonder what are you going to do with all that time you've saved?
It has nothing to do with saving time, it has to do with what's logical and intuitive!
Umm, are you on a mac, buddy? Open any folder, nothing is selected. First Click selects a file, Double clicking opens that file and Second Slow Click on the title itself renames it.
As you say yourself, a second slow click or a single click. Now what happens if you have a file selected and click once? And in GMS2?
No I'm not on a mac.

MilesThatch

Now what happens if you have a file selected and click once? And in GMS2?
I see your point. Keep in mind though that you also have selected tabs so even if a resource is selected in the tree and you;ve been working in the room editor, Single click on that resource is switching to that tab to focus. But if you were already in it, then I kinda see your point that an already selected resource doesn't toggle rename when you click again.

But GMS has always had a finicky renaming mechanic so F2 is still the faster option.