Regenerating HP

S

Sabotage

Hello,

I'm an artist who is attempting to create a game, and this is my first time delving into the world of coding. I've been at this for about 2 weeks, and started off with some open-source code which was already doing some of the things I wanted to accomplish.
All that to say, I know nothing of complicated coding practices but am growing more and more familiar with GML and simpler code.

So where I'm at now is that I've got collision working (via a script and parent object.)
I've got an HP bar. I've got health deterioration and I've got player death.

What I want to do is create a system alike to Halo or Call of Duty (i think?), where they have a delayed regeneration after not receiving damage for a time.
At the moment I'm struggling to understand alarm events and wonder if there is an easier way to do this or if someone could explain / post the code to make this work.

Currently I have something which is completely wrong but might show you where my mind is at;

takedamage = currentHP-- (this variable is in the create event)

//wait to check if HP is still going down
if takedamage == false
{
alarm[0] = 3*room_speed;
HPregen = true
}

//initialize regen
if currentHP < maxHP
{
currentHP += HPregen
}

What I want to happen is this; While the player is receiving damage (health is actively deteriorating) there is no HPregen. When the player is no longer receiving damage, wait 3 seconds, activate HPregen (until max health.)
This would need to be interruptable via receiving damage again.

F

ForesterPL

Try this:
Create another variable- alarmStarted.

In step event:
Code:
if (takedamage == false && alarmStarted == false)
{
    alarm[0] = 3*room_speed;
    alarmStarted = true;
}

if (takedamage == true)
{
    alarmStarted = false;
    HPregen = false;
}

if (currentHP < maxHP && HPregen == true)
{
    currentHP += 1;
}
In alarm 0 event:
Code:
HPregen = true;

S

Sabotage

It's not working yet, but that may be something with the variables. What am I setting alarmStarted = to?

I like to use...
Code:
if(hp <= 0)
{
 /// you're dead
}else
{
hpmax = 100
hp += 5 / room_speed // 5 HP per second
}
hp = clamp(hp, 0, maxhp)
Seems easy enough.

TheouAegis

Set an alarm in your Create event to however long between ticks hp should recover. In your alarm event add to the hp if it is less than max hp and then set rhe alarm again to the delay between ticks. Whenever the player takes damage, set the alarm to how long it takes until the player regenerates again.

That's all you need to do.

J

JFitch

In the Create event, set healing to true or false. Since you'll probably start at full health, it shouldn't make a difference which one.

Before the rest of your code, set a variable for previousHP to currentHP. This is best in your Begin Step event.
Code:
previousHP = currentHP;
In your End Step event, check whether the HP dropped that step. If it did, stop the healing and set an alarm to start it again after a few seconds.
Code:
if (currentHP < previousHP) {
    healing = false;
    alarm[0] = 3 * room_speed;
    }
In the Alarm event, set healing back to true.
Code:
healing = true;
Anywhere in your Step event, put your code for healing.
Code:
if (healing) {
    currentHP = min(100, currentHP + 5 / room_speed);
    }

S

Sabotage

My friend is much better at coding than I am and I think came up with the same solution.

///HP CODE - REGEN / DMG
//wait to check if HP is still going down
if (i💩💩💩💩 == false && alarm[0] <= 0)
{
alarm[0] = 2*room_speed;
canRegen = true
}
//Has Been hit
if (i💩💩💩💩 == true)
{
//Tick HP down
currentHP--
//Reset damage tick
i💩💩💩💩 = false
//Reset Heal
canRegen = false;
}

if (currentHP < maxHP && canRegen == true)
{
currentHP += HPregen;
}

Basically I needed more variables and now I've learned what boolean is capable of.

T

Thunder Lion

My idea is this:

Create Event for player
hp
hp_full
hp_regen=N
hp_regen_on=false

In step event
If hp_regen_on=true {hp+=hp_regen}
If hp=hp_full {hp_regen_on=false}
If hp<hp_full {alarm[0]=10} //10 is the delay of the regen start

In alarm 0 event
hp_regeb_on=on

Collision with damage
hp-=damage
hp_regen_on=false

This will work but it will attempt to regenerate at all times after alarm0 unless a collision turns it off again

S

Sabotage

I don't have a problem with that in theory but is it a waste of resources? Obviously a 2d game takes little resource regardless, but I would still try to be as efficient as possible.

S

Sabotage

All of these suggestions are convoluted except for TheouAegis's suggestion; go with that one.
That's the one I ended up using! Works fantastic. Now I'm trying to implement a light engine but I'll either figure that out or make another thread...