OFFICIAL Regarding the future support & sale of GMS1.x

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaunJS

Just Another Dev
GMC Elder
As detailed here: https://www.yoyogames.com/blog/401

We’ve had a lot of questions about what GameMaker Studio 2 means for the future of 1.x, and while we’ve explained the basics before (in that support will continue into the foreseeable future) we’ve going to take this opportunity to clarify our plans in detail.

We are currently working on a new release for 1.x with a focus on additional Spine support. While 1.x will continue to receive support and patches to ensure that all platforms can be reached, and while any major bugs will still be fixed, this is planned to be the last release for 1.x that includes new or additional features in order to start devoting our energy towards GameMaker Studio 2.

Therefore, when we launch GameMaker Studio 2 (Q1, 2017), we will be taking GameMaker: Studio 1.x off sale from that point, and will instead bundle GameMaker: Studio 1.x Professional with purchases of GMS2 products.

Only 1.x Studio Professional will be bundled, there will be no further way to purchase export modules for Studio 1.x after that point and we will no longer be distributing new free licenses for GameMaker: Studio Standard.

All presently held licenses will of course remain active and in effect.

As we have said before, we will be continuing to support 1.x for the foreseeable future. Substantial advance notice will be given of any future plans to discontinue this support should that be considered at a much later date.

Consult this FAQ for further clarification on everything described here.

-YoYo Games

M

mdbussen

I don't quite understand the logic here. So you are going to bundle GMS1.4 in with GMS2 but you won't be able to export anything from GSM1.4? Why would somebody who buys GMS2 want a copy of GMS1.4? The only reason I can think would be if you want to export to a platform that won't be on GMS2 (*cough*Vita) but if you can't buy export modules for 1.4 anymore what's the point?

makas

I think is a bad move to no have a free/noresourcelimited version of GMS... I teach video game programming with gamemaker and one of the main reason I choose gamemaker was because we have access to an unlimited free version... I honestly think the current trial version of GMS2 is not enough, but I though that wouldnt be a problem because we had gms 1x free version... oh well.. thats the only portion of all this process feels bad for me...

Jabbers

We are currently working on a new release for 1.x with a focus on additional Spine support.
YES, thank you! This has been a problem for a while now, so glad that it will be fixed because I haven't been able to update to the latest 1.4 because of it. D:

ShaunJS

Just Another Dev
GMC Elder
I don't quite understand the logic here. So you are going to bundle GMS1.4 in with GMS2 but you won't be able to export anything from GSM1.4? Why would somebody who buys GMS2 want a copy of GMS1.4? The only reason I can think would be if you want to export to a platform that won't be on GMS2 (*cough*Vita) but if you can't buy export modules for 1.4 anymore what's the point?
Not to other platforms, but still to windows.

It's largely educators that still have a reason to purchase new copies of 1.x.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Welp, that was unexpected.

I'd say something witty and interesting about this, but I can't come up with anything good. "IT'S LIKE GAME MAKER 8.1 ALL OVER AGAIN" is the best I can come up with, even if it's a gross exaggeration. Spring term is in around a month and a half, so you might want to not discontinue GMS1 Standard right away but give it a few months additional leeway. Don't forget that a lot of students seem to be working on their schoolwork games on their own computers using their own copy of Standard, so offering Pro licenses the school can install on all their computers might not be enough to cover the existing educational strategies.

I'm expecting @FrostyCat to have a field day with this and cover some other points I missed, but that's not really up to me to predict.

A

Andy

Thank you guys for continuing patch 1x bugs, glad support will not immediately end. :)

Cpaz

Welp, that was unexpected.

I'd say something witty and interesting about this, but I can't come up with anything good. "IT'S LIKE GAME MAKER 8.1 ALL OVER AGAIN" is the best I can come up with, even if it's a gross exaggeration. Spring term is in around a month and a half, so you might want to not discontinue GMS1 Standard right away but give it a few months additional leeway. Don't forget that a lot of students seem to be working on their schoolwork games on their own computers using their own copy of Standard, so offering Pro licenses the school can install on all their computers might not be enough to cover the existing educational strategies.

I'm expecting @FrostyCat to have a field day with this and cover some other points I missed, but that's not really up to me to predict.
SInce schools are using this. I'd give it summer of next year. Granted, Yoyogames seems to be running everything at lightspeed recently, if only to push for backing support for GMS2.

N

NPT

Consult this FAQ for further clarification on everything described here.
The FAQ doesn't clarify whether GMS 1.x will be available for download for new users. It states:

"If you already own GameMaker: Studio 1.X when this happens, then you can still download it from the Licences page of your YoYo Account"​

This suggests that it will not be available to the general population for download. This is going to hurt the educational market as their students will not be able to legally obtain a copy of Studio 1.4.

"When GameMaker Studio 2 leaves Beta, you will no longer be able to register a new free license for GameMaker: Studio Standard. However those people who have registered the Free version with their YoYo Account before this point will be able to continue using it without issues."​

This too will harm the educational market. Students will not be able develop material that goes beyond the free limitations, nor will they be able to load and run existing curriculum examples that use more resources than the free allows for.

As you've done now twice before, you are harming your educational customers. In both previous times YYGs took the position that since the product continued to work for them exactly as it did, therefore nothing has changed. But once again you are neglecting the fact that by removing students ability to download and use Studio you are negatively impacting your educational customers.

Here's an analogy that hopefully you'll understand.

What if Microsoft, upon release of each new version of Visual Studio, removed previous free versions of VS for download and only allowed those who bought it to use all of it's features. Like YYGs they could take the position that because those who have bought it can still use it, nothing has changed.

But if Microsoft did that, YYGs would be absolutely pooched because both Studio 1.4 and 2.0 are dependant on the non-latest version of the product. Microsoft understands that discontinuing the sale of a product shouldn't mean discontinuing the availability and usability of a product. They also understand that their customers use their products in ways that are unpredictable, and this is why well after a product is no longer supported they don't deliberately hinder its availability.

YYGs still needs to learn this.

ShaunJS

Just Another Dev
GMC Elder
You already need to create a free Standard license at minimum to use any version of 1.x. Which requires a YoYo Account. Unless you already own a free Standard license by the point at which it goes off sale, then no, there are clearly not any ways from that point onwards for entirely new users to use 1.x for free. Being able to download the program is irrelevant without any applicable license and without a YoYo Account, and without a way to create a new free license.

We are of course aware these decisions will have effects and consequences some of which will inevitably be negative. This has been weighed accordingly. I'm grateful for the interest and thought you continue to apply in delivering such thorough responses but I assure you these things have been duly considered.

Last edited:

makas

Well I hope like in other matters, Yoyo listen what their costumers have to said about those things, Im specially happy with the way you handled the problem with the data gathered on the final exes, being able to disable those for purchased versions is a nice thing from you.

But I still want to point out something, I understand that for you GMS2 is an entirely new product, thats cool and all, but more than 95% of the GML code stays the same in GMS 2, what Im trying to say is, that being able to get the free version of GMS1.4 is an amazing way to have new GMS 2.0 users, because whatever your learn on GMS1.4 will be almost entirely helpful towards GMS2, and because a large portion of the user base in GMS 1.4 are students you will be losing a lot of new potential new clients, because Im sure that whoever consider this as an actual carrer will want to upgrade to GMS 2 anyway, I know I will for my work, but Im sure that I will drop gamemaker for teaching if there is not a legal way of having a no limited licence of GM at least GMS 1.4, I will not use the current trial version of GMS2 to teach my students, you should consider having a trial version similar to the standard version of gms 1.4 even if you get a watermark logo or something on the exported exes, the resource limitation is too much, or simply keep the standard version of gms 1.4 as an alternative for this... I know is your own bussines but I think is not nice to lose features over a new version as a client or potential client...

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Removing the existing free downloads means pirated versions are now the only free versions available. Not sure steering people towards them in any way is a good idea, since these versions might be unsafe, or have access to Pro-only features. People that want to get those will, but everyone that gets one of them by mistake / because it's the only option...

GM has been lauded as being easy to learn and a good choice for education purposes, but these decisions being made repeatedly makes it seem like its creators either aren't aware of it or don't believe in those words themselves.

An idea for a compromise: remove the ability to create standalone games altogether with a Standard license, have students send GMZ files to their teachers, and call this new setup an 'Educational License'.

Z

zendraw

Removing the existing free downloads means pirated versions are now the only free versions available. Not sure steering people towards them in any way is a good idea, since these versions might be unsafe, or have access to Pro-only features. People that want to get those will, but everyone that gets one of them by mistake / because it's the only option...

GM has been lauded as being easy to learn and a good choice for education purposes, but these decisions being made repeatedly makes it seem like its creators either aren't aware of it or don't believe in those words themselves.

An idea for a compromise: remove the ability to create standalone games altogether with a Standard license, have students send GMZ files to their teachers, and call this new setup an 'Educational License'.
not every1 uses gms standart for educational purposes, that idea is just wrong, maybe a separate license for such purposes. as for theyr business decisions, i feel that unity community will grow soon.

M

Me Myself and I

Unfortunately, the free product is a net loss for Yoyo, so they have little incentive to continue to develop/maintain it. By eliminating it and lowering the price point of the upgrades, they can satisfy power users and those on budgetary constraints, as well as tempt the fence-riders who were thinking about that module but weren't sure about the expense.

H

Heat4Life

So you will not be able to buy export modules for GM:S 1.4? well that sucks.

C

Chungsie

I see a lot of game engine companies that make an engine that people love, then make a newer version with promises that it is better, and I more often than not refuse to consume the latest engine because I already know there will be bugs, and then the companies focus everything on the latest engine. Degica for one having no continuance of updates or patches for one engine in particular I bought, and a newer engine with way to many bugs to be worth a doubled price tag. I am above all else, sort of saddened. Because software companies do that sort of thing all the time. Take MS for instance, with their discontinued patches for Windows XP and eventually 7. It always feels like the company just wants to make more sales, and so newer builds are always a garauntee. I don't mean to complain about the direction that YOYO Games is going with their software, I am quite pleased that there will be continued support for the engine I bought at 700+$. However, I live on disability, and cannot afford to always buy the latest stuff that is so brand new it's bugged or has considerable issues or even use completely different mechanics (and in the case of software development, programming languages and/or commands).

And to get my point across, I'm going to say it. When a company makes a free patch or update that fixes or adds content, they lose money. If they make a completely new thing that costs money, they profit.... I would say what I really think about corporations, but it's NSFW despite being a Monkey Puzzle quote.

Anyways, best of luck with whatever the company decides is in the interest of consumers or share holders or whatever interests the direction of the company. I don't imagine this post wi.l survive, so I'm gonna snip it.

ZeDuval

I just want to point out one single thing: Windows XP is an almost 16-years old operating system. The guy working at MS, who'd be theoretically still responsible for continued support, in the year 2016/17, would be the most pitiful person on this planet.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
It was a tough call to stop supporting XP, but as has been said, it's now ancient. While not a problem in itself, the real issue is you can't get good drivers for it anymore. We spend a load of time trying to solve bugs only to find its a driver issue because the HW guys just don't put that much effort into things like DX9 anymore. So in the end, it boiled down to how old it was, and the support we'd need to KEEP giving it even though MS had stopped. This is in turn could lead us to an impossible situiation where something doesn't run, and it's unfix-able due to an OS or Driver issue, and whoever is responsible for them, doesn't care. So it had to go. 1.x will still keep working for the foreseeable future though, so you should still be fine.

As to "new" features and buggy software. I'd half agree, and half disagree. 1.x has issues due to being on Delphi, and there are time we stick a finger in one hole, only to have it spring a leak somewhere else. This code base is built so that we can keep it as stable as possible. If there is an issue, it's all our code - we can fix it. (well...baring some nuts OS thing of course). We've also made sure to prioritise crashes and project file issues to make sure it's as stable as we can make it.

So that's the half I disagree with. The part I agree with is, yes... there are new features... so it may be buggy in places. But I think we're in a pretty good place, the issues we've got are minor - way less than the 1.x issue I think, and we've got a great launchpad for the future.

We can't keep on old software, we have to develop new version, improve things as much as we can. 1.x has serious work flow issues, and the room editor is a nightmare. With the rewrite we've thrown everything away and designed from scratch. It's not just a case of claiming new things to charge more - this one really is.

J

jackhigh24

well i feel pretty shafted, your only going to fix some spine stuff anything else meh, what about tizen in nearly two years since you did anything for it, take the money a run why don't you, at the moment iv chosen not to go with game maker studio 2, im trying to learn unity or unreal, if i fail il come back and reluctantly take gms 2, but you really should of made a good go at getting as many mugs out of 1 before giving us another even more buggy 2, iv no confidence in yoyo anymore.

oh and by the way i nearly did get gms 2 but your bad slow support stopped, i had a spare pro licence and though il use that to upgrade but it was from 2014 and was not linked to a yoyo account but as it had been activated on game maker its self it would not let me link it to a yoyo account, no one has replied for a week my help desk, that made me remember what a good customer service you have, so made me change my mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chungsie

It was a tough call to stop supporting XP, but as has been said, it's now ancient. While not a problem in itself, the real issue is you can't get good drivers for it anymore. We spend a load of time trying to solve bugs only to find its a driver issue because the HW guys just don't put that much effort into things like DX9 anymore. So in the end, it boiled down to how old it was, and the support we'd need to KEEP giving it even though MS had stopped. This is in turn could lead us to an impossible situiation where something doesn't run, and it's unfix-able due to an OS or Driver issue, and whoever is responsible for them, doesn't care. So it had to go. 1.x will still keep working for the foreseeable future though, so you should still be fine.

As to "new" features and buggy software. I'd half agree, and half disagree. 1.x has issues due to being on Delphi, and there are time we stick a finger in one hole, only to have it spring a leak somewhere else. This code base is built so that we can keep it as stable as possible. If there is an issue, it's all our code - we can fix it. (well...baring some nuts OS thing of course). We've also made sure to prioritise crashes and project file issues to make sure it's as stable as we can make it.

So that's the half I disagree with. The part I agree with is, yes... there are new features... so it may be buggy in places. But I think we're in a pretty good place, the issues we've got are minor - way less than the 1.x issue I think, and we've got a great launchpad for the future.

We can't keep on old software, we have to develop new version, improve things as much as we can. 1.x has serious work flow issues, and the room editor is a nightmare. With the rewrite we've thrown everything away and designed from scratch. It's not just a case of claiming new things to charge more - this one really is.
I'm no expert, but if 16 years makes something ancient, what's 3000 years do for something?

I mean, there are many reasons I am upset with coporate decisions. especially in this day of age, it's so easy to find a flaw in the logic of something when compared to moral fiber.

But ya, I'll give you that, it's not like humans are capable of making quality the first time when money is involved.... ya Im going to stick with that quote. Literally nothing that has ever been mass produced or produced for quality lasts long as top quality, cus inflation/deflation. I could rant forever how money is just a means to get people to do things they don't want to do to begin with, but that would be unfair to the working stiffs out there that do things they don't want to so they have a chance to get something they want.

but I did find something that seems cool, and is completely free. (MODEDIT: Sorry, do not link to or promote other products) basically it teaches you to make your own game engine :D now I'm no expert, but maybe something that never has to be updated to meet a consumer's need or shareholders need is something people would be interested in. and with that one could make an engine for specific games in mind.

and I have to disagree with the having to develop new stuff. I mean, time seems pretty old and we don't need new time do we? honestly it sounds like a system of people not enjoying what they have, and taking it for granite to make more money. I've honestly never played a AAA game from 2015 and beyond, because the technology involved does not interest me. I think, the fact that most consumers of game engines that don't want to learn C++ make basic 2d retro games, is a sign that new is not desired always.... just a thought.

ZeDuval

See, the SNES is still my favourite console and will always be, I guess. But I won't like a reality where it's still the last released console, that we're using for 27 years now, while innovation has completely stagnated. I like this reality where technical evolution brought us to a point where I can have all SNES games ever released in my pocket. Windows XP will always have a place in my heart where fond memories are stored. I very well remember the day a friend of mine( and in that time my permanent LAN buddy) got hold of XP and how we installed it simultaneously with open mouths because for the first time an installer routine did look like the future! Networking became easier, I had some awesome custom Windows-Skins, also matching the Winamp- and ICQ Skins! It was a great time but I'm happy that they released several iterations after that, up until now, to find out what works and what not. Windows 7 was just meh, Windows 8 was cancer, Windows 8.1 was actually ok and suddenly so goddamn fast. Windows 10? I am actually very satisfied. And this progress was needed to get there. I would never again want to use Windows XP. It's awesome - as a memory.

C

Chungsie

that is a good point :)

I admit that my arguments are based on the fact that no one really offers discounts to fixed income recipients. And the limitations of such a budget really make the latest thing unobtainable at times without considerably frustrating days of limiting purchases to afford something. But maybe that frustration is the result of instantaneous satisfaction that the technological evolution has given us?

Widows 10 in my opinion, is a great Free OS, but so Ubuntu and other linux OSes. And hopefully the direction MS is going in rewarding loyalty will continue, with having free upgrades to prior consumers.

I can't say I ever really appreciated the evolution of Nintendo, however SNES was something I wish I had owned as a child, but I was ok with my Genesis :p I would in way now like to purchase a nintendo product, such as the Wii or 3ds. for some of the reasons I have stated earlier. But I do know you can buy a SNES without support.

The problems I am bringing up are in no way directed to a specific company, albeit I use specifc companies to make my point. I think my issues have to do with the reality of a society structured to consumerism. I actually have my own etsy shop, I make peace pipes out of a wood which according to Forrest Rangers and Conservation Officers, is not prone to rot in it's natural habitat, hence I call my shop, Forever Peace Pipes. I actually guarantee my products (if they are osage orange materials) for the life of the company, because I feel I know enough about the wood to do so. And one thing I do is offer a printout on how to care for the products sold there. I don't think I have any listings at the moment, as I have yet to make more, but it's good for promoting a greater purpose I wish to do on my own for no profit whatsoever.

I'm not exactly known for my desire of money, and I have never really held down a paying job for very long, not from laziness, but from lack of ability to believe in something that is not meant to better a consumer beyond immediate consumption. True I may want to work in a water bottling company, but the lack of bottling company visions to use biodegradable materials and the lack of governments to properly clean the tap water is something I think is a turn off from feeding that beast.

I am sorry, I was really agitated earlier, I'm not sure why.

rIKmAN

I could rant forever how money is just a means to get people to do things they don't want to do to begin with, but that would be unfair to the working stiffs out there that do things they don't want to so they have a chance to get something they want.
Whoah @Chungsie getting so deep I feel like I should have had a toke or three on one of his peace pipes before I read that to feel its full impact! :D

I may want to work in a water bottling company, but the lack of bottling company visions to use biodegradable materials and the lack of governments to properly clean the tap water is something I think is a turn off from feeding that beast.
I think you would enjoy this documentary, if you haven't already seen it. Crazy stuff.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
and I have to disagree with the having to develop new stuff. I mean, time seems pretty old and we don't need new time do we? honestly it sounds like a system of people not enjoying what they have, and taking it for granite to make more money. I've honestly never played a AAA game from 2015 and beyond, because the technology involved does not interest me. I think, the fact that most consumers of game engines that don't want to learn C++ make basic 2d retro games, is a sign that new is not desired always.... just a thought.
Okay... see, now you've gone too far. New tech is important, if not... we'd still be using valves or have no comuters at all. Change and innovation is what has driven mankind since the left the oceans and really what your saying is that we should stop now because your happy with where tech levels currently are. But not everyone is. I love my old C64 and ZX Spectrum, but I can't imagine what would have happened if we'd just stuck there.

And just because we stop doesn't mean anyone else would. GameMaker would be left behind as everyone moved to tech that was getting better and improving.

So, sorry we can't help pull you forward, but we have to move on. I will say though, that alot of the "new" stuff in GMS2 is in fact tech learned from these old machines, brought back. The way GameMaker used to do things like tiles wasn't really a tile. Old consoles like the SNES, Megadrive, PC Engine etc - and even the C64 all had proper tilemaps, and this is what I've brought back. They are far better, and far more powerful than folk used to think, and they are just starting to (again) see the benefits of them. So in some regard, we're moving forward by moving back - which should make you happy :)

C

Chungsie

Whoah @Chungsie getting so deep I feel like I should have had a toke or three on one of his peace pipes before I read that to feel its full impact! :D

I think you would enjoy this documentary, if you haven't already seen it. Crazy stuff.
actually, because they can be passed generation to generation I give the costumer an unaffiliated contact for KinickKinick. I do intend on learning from my mentor on how to make the blend myself, so I could offer a blend without tobacco. But it is the traditional smokable for peace pipes, the idea that peace pipes are for illegal substances is more or less not true :p while there is a psycoactive in most blends, they are completely legal and more of a sleep aid.

So in some regard, we're moving forward by moving back - which should make you happy :)
most dubious :p

I can't say my logic is ever very helpful at times. Generally speaking, I have no actual problem with progress that is benign, however I see consumers getting the butt of the bill more often than not, even the loyal ones. It just feels at some point a company should help a loyal customer instead of bleeding them dry ;)

G

Galladhan

It just feels at some point a company should help a loyal customer instead of bleeding them dry ;)
Is a 40-50% discount on a new product (that has been under development for years) synonym of "bleeding them dry", in your opinion? :p

M

Maximus

1.x will continue to receive support and patches to ensure that all platforms can be reached
Hopefully, this is true. I wanna get my money's worth from that humble bundle :p

RizbIT

if youre going to stop sales of export modules for v1.X can you please do a sale offer soon so users can buy one before you take them down? Im just saying i know i would buy the ios export but most def not at current price

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
if youre going to stop sales of export modules for v1.X can you please do a sale offer soon so users can buy one before you take them down? Im just saying i know i would buy the ios export but most def not at current price
Since GMS1 licenses will be able to let you get the new GMS2 at a cheaper price... most definitely not.

RizbIT

well that sucks. tbh ive started to go off gm a bit, which sucks even more seeing that i spent couple of hundred quid on it.

i dont mind sticking with v1.x but i really will not be spending another couple of hundred just on an export module when ive paid loads for the actual program. plugins should not cost so much

G

Gamely

Discounts for master version owners that paid in full sounds like a joke when compared to discounts you just get being a pro humble bundle licensee. 40% after paying you few cents and 600 euros for the further 10% discount? Add it to the fact that discounts also apply for a limited time span and ...seriously... who is that runs your marketing?

I bought a full master license of a software at 1.4 just before humble bundle (I also bought) and the notice of version switching to 2.x...I surely feel dumb...so what makes you believe I want to feel dumb again?The juicy further 10% of discount?

p.s. the last humble bundle has almost anything master license has minus ps4 and xbox.
In similar situation other companies would had upgraded all the master user to 2.0 for free.

D

Drewster

@Gamely,

The official notice of 2.0 was recent but there was chat in the forums for ages concerning it. When you bought master collection, it clearly said it entitles you to all future 1.x releases, and again a bit deal was made of this in the forums -- even before there was any official 2.0 announcement. YoYo was up front about the plan that everyone gets to pay again for 2.0 from the outset.

The two big humble bundle runs as well as recent heavy discounting of 1.4 were pretty clearly in anticipation of an imminent 2.0 release.

For what it's worth, I also grabbed the humble as I figured that as a method of obtaining a possible discounted upgrade for a potential 2nd license, it would be a good risk.

Also don't get too far ahead of things. 1.4 is still where it's at right now. 2.0 is still beta, largely crashes, and doesn't have mobile exports last I checked. 1.4 will continue to be the production choice for some time, so as long as you are using it, you are getting your money's worth out of it.

N

NPT

The two big humble bundle runs as well as recent heavy discounting of 1.4 were pretty clearly in anticipation of an imminent 2.0 release.
The September 2016 Humble Bundle run was definitely in anticipation of 2.0, the 2.0 teasers were dropped shortly after.

The September 2015 Humble Bundle had nothing to do with an imminent 2.0 launch.

G

Gamely

@Gamely,
Also don't get too far ahead of things. 1.4 is still where it's at right now. 2.0 is still beta, largely crashes, and doesn't have mobile exports last I checked. 1.4 will continue to be the production choice for some time, so as long as you are using it, you are getting your money's worth out of it.
I'm just concerned about bugfixing as 1.4 have a lot of issues here and there(both editor and runtime) and i would be very pissed if they get fixed just on 2.0.As now it is worth any penny however, but with lot of hacking for fix issues that aren't officially fixed or fixed but broken in different way(multitouch in gui has been fixed and broken in windows and html5 every one or two releases.Switching the effort on 2.0 could just make it worse.

R

Rudi Myersson

Purchased GM Studio 2 for Desktop on December 31, 2016 (a Happy New Year's gift for me); however, the GM 1.4 Pro was NOT bundled. Instead, the GM 1.4 Standard version was bundled.
Also, still getting advisory to purchase the Beta when GM Studio 2 boots up. Checked and I am showing active GM Studio 2 license.

Totally confused on both counts.

Also, since only Desktop is currently available, will those of us desiring additional GM Studio 2 platforms to be able to purchase them (as they become available) at discounted prices? [Sorry if this exact question has already been asked]

RM

Purchased GM Studio 2 for Desktop on December 31, 2016 (a Happy New Year's gift for me); however, the GM 1.4 Pro was NOT bundled. Instead, the GM 1.4 Standard version was bundled.
Over here https://www.yoyogames.com/get2 it says the following:
Once out of Beta and for a limited time only, all paid products will also receive access to GameMaker: Studio 1.4 Professional.
So as GMS2 is still in beta, then 1.4 Pro will not be available in the download yet. Probably will only become available for download once GMS2 is released in a non-beta state.

R

Rudi Myersson

Thanks NPT for the response. Tried your suggestion by logging out and logging back in. Unfortunately, nothing changed.
Thanks Perfect Gaming for your response. Perhaps, as you suggested, will receive GM 1.4 Pro license when GM 2 goes out of Beta. Perhaps YOYO is waiting forr GM Studio 2 to go past Beta for opening screen to change so that will no longer be prompted to buy a product when I already have.

I can't yet specify when it will end, but it will definitely still be available by launch.
Shaun, I have GM:S with Android export module. I need to be able to export to Windows and Android. Which version of GM:S 2 should I go for then?

On this page https://www.yoyogames.com/get2 under the option "upgrade paths for Game Maker Studio 2" there is a Android /iOS version at 240USD. Would this be the one for me, and does it also export to Windows?

Thanks!

Also, the name: Game Maker Studio 2 is getting a little long....Maybe it's time to drop the 'maker' and just have it be Game Studio 2 :)

rIKmAN

Shaun, I have GM:S with Android export module. I need to be able to export to Windows and Android. Which version of GM:S 2 should I go for then?

On this page https://www.yoyogames.com/get2 under the option "upgrade paths for Game Maker Studio 2" there is a Android /iOS version at 240USD. Would this be the one for me, and does it also export to Windows?

Thanks!

Also, the name: Game Maker Studio 2 is getting a little long....Maybe it's time to drop the 'maker' and just have it be Game Studio 2 :)
You will need to buy the Desktop module for Windows, and the "Mobile" export which gives you Android and iOS.

You can't get Android and iOS separately, they are bundled together in the "Mobile" pack.

A question I have is does the Desktop module allow me to export to Steam?

rIKmAN

What do I need then? What price am I looking at?

Also, what is the difference between desktop and Windows?

Thanks!!
I told you in my last post.

Windows = Desktop export module (you also get Mac and Ubuntu)
Android = Mobile export module (you also get iOS)

I can't give you a price as I don't know if you are entitled to any discounts, but just add up the cost of those 2 export modules.

Desktop is Windows+Mac+Ubuntu.
Mobile is Android+iOS

Status
Not open for further replies.