• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Legacy GM Refering to an object depending on the number on the end of the name of the object? (SOLVED)

Fixer90

I'm making a script function that will create an object (at coordinates 0, 0) called "obj_event_0", but I also have "obj_event_1" and "obj_event_2" and so on. I want to be able to input only a number in my function's argument whenever I use it; a number corresponding to the number at the end of the event object. Is this possible?

EDIT: I'm experimenting on this. Would something like this work?:
Code:
instance_create(0, 0, real("obj_event_" + string(argument0)));

Last edited:

Rob

I think you'd find it easier to have 1 event object and then have a variable that tracks the different events. You can then just change that variable.

It IS possible to do it the way you want to but it would take you a lot longer.

Fixer90

I think you'd find it easier to have 1 event object and then have a variable that tracks the different events. You can then just change that variable.

It IS possible to do it the way you want to but it would take you a lot longer.
You mean like having one persistent object, that has each event object listed in an array, and calls upon them based on that? I could do that, but if it is possible to do it the way I want, I want to know how. Do you know?

Rob

I don't like any of the ways that come to mind but you could do this:

Code:
//scr_main(number)
number = argument0;

if (number == 0) instance_create(x,y,obj_event0);
if (number == 1) instance_create(x,y,obj_event1);
On my previous post i meant that you should just have 1 object that has all the same code of the different event objects.

You could then do something like this:

Code:
event = instance_create(x,y,obj_event);
event.number = //whatever you want for this code
then in obj_event, you have this in the step event

Code:
//Step event

if (number == 0){

}else{
   if (number == 1){

}
}

etc

Last edited:

Fixer90

I don't like any of the ways that come to mind but you could do this:

Code:
//scr_main(number)
number = argument0;

if (number == 0) instance_create(x,y,obj_event0);
if (number == 1) instance_create(x,y,obj_event1);
The problem with that is that I need to be able to have as many as thousands of event objects.

Rob

If you want all those event objects to be different then you're gonna have to type / copy&paste all those lines, which is why I suggest ONE event object, with all the different bits of event code inside it.

I updated my previous post to explain this, so you might not have seen what I wrote.