Free Red Ball Evolved - my second game

chrys

Hello. This is my second game, made home :) It is a simple game for android, unfortunately only with 15 levels. Compared to the first game, I decided to make fewer levels and diversified, than many repetitive. I worked hard at it. So I appreciate any advice. I'm still a beginner, so be merciful :)

The game can be downloaded here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dobrocry.happyend. Thanks.

Store Description:
Save and build the village. Solve challenges, defeat enemies and destroy evil boss. You must roll and jump to complete levels. Easy, right?

- Free to play;
- Puzzle-adventure game;
- 15 challenging levels;
- Physics based platform;
- Intuitive touch interface;
- 100% indie game;

Please leave me a review. It really helps me to make more games. Thanks!

Last edited:
M

mysticjim

Hello - the game looks nice - any chance you could throw some actual gameplay footage into a video so we could see it in action? You'll get far more interest in it if you had one.

I will try and test it myself on an Android device shortly anyway :)

chrys

Thank you. I hope you try it. And then tell me your views. I intend to make a video soon. I will post it here when I finish. All the best.

R

Rashmitha

The second game I made and the second game published

2nd one is nice.
what is the first one.

M

megaspit

This looks great from the screenshots! I'll be giving this a play.

I tried the game today! The graphics are great. The level select screen and 3 star goal is very well implemented. Here are my notes:
  • There is a small lack of tutorial on the first level. We don't get the fact that collecting all coins and keeing our lives gives us stars. This should be shown or explained in the first level.
  • The level design is tricky, even at the begginning when taking the coin on that 2 floor platform before reaching the plank near the end. The first level should at least be given as I fell a few times before understanding what to do.
  • The controls: This is my point of view. I played on a Samsung Galaxy S6. I never really liked arrows to control on tablettes and cell phones as most of them have problems taking more than one finger at a time in a rapid way. I needed to anticipate my jumping which made easy levels harder.
  • One of the biggest lacks in these types of games is that having 1 or 3 stars on levels just does not make it interesting. There should be some motivation in collecting stars. I did not see any so basically, all I wanted is finish the levels without really taking care of the extra effort to pick up some coins.
  • I stopped on the button stage where it says " Find de button ". What does this button do? What does it trigger? I figured it out, but it triggered something that did not need triggering at all in the previous levels. The spiked plank also was a lucky move as I did not realise what it was and why I could not jump. There's clearly a bit of tutorial to add to the game and some extra details to help us understand a few things. For example, the button mechanism, seeing it's a red button, well maybe put that mechanical bridge in red wood so we understand that it does not reacte the same way as the normal wooden bridges.
  • As for the mechanics of the game, I sincerely have nothing to say about it. Even though I was on my cell phone, the movement was fluid, the collision was excellent and easy. I particularly loved the level select screen which seems to make it look like a real professionnal game.
  • I do believe that with the effort put into the graphics, some extra background and animated work could have been put as I got bored on the graphics after 3 levels. Having dynamic backgrounds and some animated nature decoration (flowers, grass, water, bugs, mushrooms, etc...) would have kept me going further just for the ey candyness. Because up to now, the graphics are VERY nice and well worth it, it's just missing a final touch.
Conclusion: With a bit additional artwork and some better tutorial, this game would be well worth the download. Although I'm not too keen on controller type controls on a cell phone, it could still be addictive. I also liked the short intro that puts us in the game at the begginning. Very simple story, not too exagerated, and not too long. I liked it and that did not bother me very much even though I could not skip the dialogue, it's not long enough to say that it's a bad point, it's perfect as it is! I feel that this game could easily fit in a payed game category and the author did a great job. I'm just surprised to see such a game made with Game Maker and even hesitate in thinking it was because it is indeed a very nice solid game WELL WORTH the try and play!

chrys

Thank you for trying my game. I always agree with the constructive critique :) I like the fact that you have drawn attention to some issues that I want to change in the next update. But motivation exists in collecting coins. You have to collect as many as possible to repair the village with them. And the stars are important. If you get 3, you get an extra coin at the end of the level. Soon, I come back with an update. I'll take your tips. Good review. With good and bad. Thank you again.

Thank you for trying my game. I always agree with the constructive critique :) I like the fact that you have drawn attention to some issues that I want to change in the next update. But motivation exists in collecting coins. You have to collect as many as possible to repair the village with them. And the stars are important. If you get 3, you get an extra coin at the end of the level. Soon, I come back with an update. I'll take your tips. Good review. With good and bad. Thank you again.
I'm sincerely, very surprised to see such a professionnal game made with Game Maker. The physics are very well implemented. Seriously, well done! But the lack of tutorial I think was shown in my review because I was unaware of the coins and stars. But your game is to my opinion, pretty much finished, it's just missing some minor things. I'm glad this helped you and seriously, continue working on it, it has some VERY good potential and if this is your second game with such a quality, My guess is that your third game could start making you pretty rich if you embark in paid games. A suggestion, if you start to enter the paying world, ads are good when people have the choice to view them. Basically, let them get rewards by CHOOSING to watch ads and not making those damn ads mandatory. And of cours, you can make them pay for more without using ads. For example, watching an ad would give you 3 coins, and buying the game OR a bundle would give your way more.

Keep it up!

S

Sam (Deleted User)

The graphics are wonderful! The gameplay is a little hard, and it crashes on my Android KitKat occasionally, but it's a really good game and you did really well for a second game. Congrats! :D

Edit: please publish this to iOS, even if that means asking someone you trust to do it for you. :)

chrys

Thank you. Your words make me keep going. Sorry I do not have much time. I'm busy almost all the time, with my service and my family. And I have so much to learn. I hope to publish it for IOS. We'll see. And I hope the update will solve most of the problems you've been told. Thank you for your encouragement.

sercan

Tried the game. very good graphics. But in my opinion there is a problem with controls, i guess about touching buttons at same time. something makes it hard kills the fun just a bit. but am sure you can fix it easily. ı hope you can add more levels because there is too few. anyways very good game congratulations :)

chrys

Thanks sercan. I've solved the problem with controls. I've changed much of the graphics. And I think i've solved the crash problem. The name of the game is now Red Ball Evolved. It fits perfectly with the new main character. I also made a video

Last edited:
S

Sam (Deleted User)

I kinda liked the old main character a little better. But I still like the new one. I guess it's kind of just because I'm getting used to it, if I didn't see the original character I wouldn't know any different. :)

You're a very talented artist! I want your skills...

Andrey

Overall I liked the game. Great graphics. Of the shortcomings - excessive complexity. The game is designed for what is the age of the player? If for children, play is extremely difficult.

chrys

Thanks Andrey. I'm glad you liked :) The game is not made for a certain age category. I started with an idea, and then other ideas came to me until this game came out :) I was not sure how it will look at the end.

sercan

Hi chrys,
Yes controls are way better now. I faced a problem you need to see. Looks like a small issue. Screenshot_2017-06-16-12-50-56.jpg

Other than this, everything looks cool :)

G

Oh, this game is still being developed? I didn't want to say anything, but if there's time to change: Are you sure about the name? In American English at least, "Happy End" sounds like "Happy Ending," which is a sexual euphemism. It's a reeeeally odd association to have with your game considering its graphics--which are, by the way, incredibly good!

chrys

Thanks Justice for your good intentions. I did not realize when I launched it :) Meanwhile, I changed the name of the game. Now it's called Red Ball Evolved. I think it fits better with the new main character. Anyway, it's better than the first one :)

I'm really sorry but the controls are way too hard for me to keep this game. BUT, I found a few additions to the environnement which makes the game a bit more alive and eye candy-ish. I would have played the game much more but my fingers hurt too much beacause of the controls. I may be becoming too old or am maybe complaining for nothing but the game DOES feel great. I MUST still insist on one thing, you should seriously help players understand WHICH bridge can be pushed and which one cannot. I lost time trying twice to push down a bridge when I realized it needed to have a button pushed. You know a redish bridge for red buttons would help us understand that the upcomming bridge cannot be pushed normally so instead of crashing on it trying to push it, we would automatically turn arround and find that button seeing that it's a bit more red than before. Make it have red moss or red flowers but at least something that tells us to not attempt to push that unpushable bridge.

Besides that, I do agree that the game is a bit hard to beggin with but again, that is YOUR idea and YOUR creation, so to me, it's not a bad point to have harder games. It's just lacking some tutorial and guides, that's it.

I really love you game and even though I won't play it because of the controls, I still encourage you to polish it as it has a VERY professionnal look and has some great potential for in-game purchases in the futur for players that are comfortable with this kind of gameplay!

Congradulations for that change of color for the furry ball. I think you could use some ingame purchases for the ball suite. Example, earn 45 stars to have a blue ball instead of red or something like that or earn 30 coins, something to let you customize your gaming experience. Maybe have special suites that draw down automatically those buttons bridges after, for example 150 stars or automatically tip over spiked bridges. Or even, 1 allowed ennemy hit with a certain suite and if you have, for example 200 stars and no life taken when payed through 20 consecutive levels, you gain a 3 minute invincibility. Just throwing a few ideas to make players want to play the game more. You could even put those talents as GEMS where people can buy gems for invincibility or use gems for additional ball suites. You game has so much potential and I know it feels good to be encouraged so keep it up!

S

SpicyCrab

This actually looks very nice. Did you make this using premade assets or did you create those assets yourself?

chrys

Most of them I got from the net. But I changed them in Photoshop. Some assets I've made in Adobe Flash or Photoshop. Most of the time I lost it with graphics.

Last edited:

The game looks great and I'm sure it's great and addictive to play!!
keep going!

jazzzar

reminds me a lot of a game I completed, it was called vito jump' n roll i guess, yours looks very nice, will try it at night, a question tho, the graphics are amazing, did you do these by yourself?

chrys

Most of them I got from the net. But I changed them in Photoshop. Some assets I've made in Adobe Flash or Photoshop. Most of the time I lost it with graphics.
Thanks jazzar. I expect your opinions after you play it.

Last edited:
H

heanfry

Hey there,
my Name is Jan and i am also publishing a Game on Google Play Store.
At the moment i am trying to figure out how to configure the Google Play Console with my Game.

I wanted to ask if you could maybe help me with this because i see that you have a well knowledge?

You can contact me or add me on Steam @epiXxishere

Slyddar

Just tried it, and found it played nicely. For a 2nd game it looks amazing and is very polished. Gameplay is fun and a little challenging, but not too much and just restarting the current level is not much of a penalty. Also building the village back is a nice touch to make people hunt for those extra stars. You should be very proud of your efforts, as it's a great game.

Just curious though, considering it's an ad only game, how are the ads working out for you? Do you find they generate much income? Had you considered a full paid version to remove the ads, as well as keeping your existing lite/ad version?

chrys

Thanks TheSly. Income is incredibly small. I would consider a paid version if I had many downloads. But I do not manage to increase the number of downloads. So I do not even think of a paid version for now.