1. Hey! Guest! The 32nd GMC Jam will take place between Feb 22nd, 12:00 UTC (Friday noon) and Feb 25th, 12:00 UTC (Monday noon). Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

Recommendations for resolution

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by muddrox, Feb 11, 2019 at 1:22 PM.

Tags:
  1. muddrox

muddrox Member

I am currently making a game and I started making it with a 1280 x 720 resolution. All my assets, including all pixel art, have been designed around that resolution. However, I recently watched a video by Pixelated pope titled, The 15 Commandments of Game Maker, which stated that I should never make a game that has a resolution over 960 x 540. This was a little deflating to hear given how much work I have put into my game already at my current resolution. I tried downscaling everything to see how it looked and I wasn't happy with the result. I don't want to change the resolution but I also want my game to be the best it can be. I did some research and it appears that many developers suggest using resolutions much smaller than the one I've opted to use. I am developing my game for PC and other potential platforms. I just want to get some insight here regarding whether or not I should scrap much of my assets to support a lower resolution or keep going full speed ahead with the current resolution I've opted to use. What are the consequences of using the resolution I have now? What benefits can I expect from downscaling? Thank you.

2. YanBG

YanBG Member

Pixel art devs should answer you but i don't get why resolution should be fixed. For PC it has to be big, i'd play it on 1920x1080, so 1280x720 would be good now and already old in a few years. Anything lower is too small, i guess in windowed mode but still.

If you talk about tile size(or is it fullscreen backgrounds?) i get it, character size would also be tied to them but other than that people with big screens would just want to see more of the map/level.

3. muddrox

muddrox Member

When I say resolution, I mean the size of the actual view that controls how much the user sees in the game. The actual game's screen will be upscaled to 1080p. For example, Hyper Light Drifter's actual resolution (without upscaling) is 320 x 180. Obviously, my game's resolution is much bigger than that before upscaling. That's the core of my concern. Should my game's actual resolution be much smaller than it is now especially since I'm using pixel art? Or can I get away with the resolution I'm using now without significant consequences? In pixelated pope's video referenced above, he believes that games above 960 x 540 are bound to run into issues deeper in development. I wanted to reach out and see if I could verify his claim. What pros and cons should I expect continuing or discontinuing my current resolution? I hope this clarifies my questions.

4. immortalx

immortalx Member

The idea is that every single pixel of your artwork should be doubled, tripled, quadrapled,etc, equally in both dimensions. Hyper Light Drifter as you said, with a resolution of 320 X 180, will be scaled 6 times to get at 1080p. Your game as it stands will get scaled 1.5 times. It's a fractional amount, which means the scaling algorithm has to scale *some* pixels, ruining your artwork.
    You can switch to a 960 X 540 resolution, which is close to what you're at now. You can then scale your artwork down with the application of your choice and do manual touchups. Surely it's going to be some work, but I can't think of any other way.

5. muddrox

muddrox Member

Gotcha, that makes sense. Well shoot, I guess I'll have to do things the hard way. Your explanation as to why I should use 960 x 540 makes a lot of sense. Thanks for your help.

immortalx likes this.
  6. YanBG

YanBG Member

Instead of upscaling you can set the view to the display's size, or give option to set the resolution. Factor of 2 is sound logic, but what about other aspect ratios?

Sn3akyP1xel likes this.
  7. woodsmoke

woodsmoke Member

I'm also currently working on a game with the same resolution. I keep dreaming of releasing it on the Nintendo Switch which has the same native resolution. I have the game running in windowed mode.Maybe I'll make it detect the users screen resolution and use black bars for full screen. Or change the room size to 1080 with decoration on the sides.

Last time I use a silly resolution like this again though.

8. NightFrost

NightFrost Member

Views and aspect ratios depend on the type of game. If you have a large field that you move around on, like let's say in Hyper Light Drifter, then you set your view's aspect ratio to display's, and it nicely fills it when scaled up. But if you have a static area, like for example you've created a Tetris clone or a match-3 game, you scale your game up at the aspect ratio of your app surface. Then you get creative with filling the black bars caused by surface / display aspect mismatch, like fill them with artsy repeating pattern.

Toque likes this.
  9. Samuel Venable

Samuel Venable Time Killer

For pixel art games I really like 960 x 540. That's my personal standard. Depending on the level of detail, some of the content may be scaled up if there's inconsistent pixel cell sizes, which generally I try to avoid because there is no such thing as "half a pixel". If I scale it up, I prefer to make it all have a consistent size for each "pixel" (whatever that even means nowadays).

10. Mert

Mert Member

I usually set it to 720x1280(or the opposite for landscape orientation) on mobile devices and let Game Maker do the trick. Didn't have any issue, and does not look weird.

11. Sn3akyP1xel

Sn3akyP1xel Member

Not sure how this stands for other people, but i don't mind playing any game windowed. If you have a set res' of 1280x720 I would still play it as long as the monitors res is high enough.
    I'm currently thinking about making a Scaling template. The time i've spent fixing scaling issues on my first project is rediculas to say the least :bash: