• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

HTML5 Recent Complex HTML5 Examples?

F

footloosemoose

Hi all

I'm auditing GameMaker and really enjoying what I've seen so far. At the moment, it's pretty much down to GM vs Phaser. For background, I'm an advanced Flash and JavaScript guy.

The games that I'll be making soon need to be HTML5 so I'm keen to test some advanced examples on test devices before I commit.

I've been googling around (even YouTubing around) and I unfortunately haven't found anything yet that ticks the boxes. Actually, I've found quite a number of older sites/posts that basically say GM HTML5 isn't up to scratch... but I hope this is simply old info and 2018 offers a better experience and result. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places!?!

Secondary question: is there a resource for GM do's and don'ts with respect to publishing to HTML5 for mobile devices? (I'm really referring to features that don't particularly translate well, rather than code optimisation things, pooling etc)

Any help would be greatly appreciated - cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

True Valhalla

Full-Time Developer
GMC Elder
GM HTML5 is definitely "up to scratch" and it can do anything that Phaser can in a quarter of the time. There isn't a major market for large-scale HTML5 games so there are few in existence...even outside of the GM ecosystem.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I have no experience with GM's HTML5, but TrueValhalla is basically the authority on it, so if he says it's working it's pretty much guaranteed to be the truth.

As for stuff that doesn't work well, I've heard that graphics effects (blending, alpha, surfaces, textured primitives etc) doesn't work super well in HTML5 since openGL stuff needs to be emulated and it's much slower than it would be in a desktop application. So try to keep your drawing to basic stuff (drawing sprites etc).
There's also some caveats with saving data, I think, since you can't save local files as transparently as you can with desktop apps - not sure about the details. I've heard that LocalStorage is deprecated, not sure what GM uses to save files from HTML5 apps, but if your games are stateless and/or not relying too much on metaprogression you'll hopefully save yourself a headache.