• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Rebinding Keyboard Shortcuts?

G

GerPronouncedGrr

Is there currently a way to rebind the IDE keyboard shortcuts? I've had a dig through all the preferences and all of the files I felt comfortable looking in, but didn't see these anywhere, which leads me to think that they're currently hardcoded. Which is fine, temporarily, but I hope it won't always be the case.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to be able to redefine hotkeys. For example, I would like to get in the habit of using CTRL+T, but find it rather hard to do with my tiny baby hands (joking, but not really). I'm equally sure that having an in-IDE Preferences menu for all keyboard shortcuts would be an excellent way for new users to learn the available shortcuts. (Yes, I am aware of the documentation page listing all of them. It is, however, painfully obvious that many *many* people will never read a single page of the documentation.) At any rate, being able to rebind the keys is a workflow improvement for many users, and a second place for people to learn.

Mick

At any rate, being able to rebind the keys is a workflow improvement for many users, and a second place for people to learn.
I agree, ctrl+letter shortcuts can be a little uncomfortable, being able to remap the shortcuts would be nice. The best ctrl+letter shortcuts are all taken (z,x,c,v).

S

sogun

Thanks. Because I mostly touch-type and don't wish to maim my little finger with CTRL+C/CTRL+V, the two-hand COPY/PASTE CODE shortcuts below would be much more satisfactory to work with and faster:
CTRL+INS = copy code
SHIFT+INS = paste code

S

Samael

Necro'ing this thread to ask if it's presently possible? It's been over two years since this was raised and the base shortcuts used in the sprite editor are distinct from most other programs. Any word on where this is on the roadmap or has it already been added?

J

jsoeller

BUMP. I'm trying to change the keybinding for snippets (currently F4) and can't find how to change keyboard shortcuts within GMS 2. Previously it was under Help>> but I can't seem to locate it anywhere. Does anybody know where I can access the Keyboard Shortcuts window? Thanks!

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
BUMP. I'm trying to change the keybinding for snippets (currently F4) and can't find how to change keyboard shortcuts within GMS 2. Previously it was under Help>> but I can't seem to locate it anywhere. Does anybody know where I can access the Keyboard Shortcuts window? Thanks!
It's still not in GMS 2 yet. AutoHotKey might be able to work around this, but I haven't tried it myself.

I am also requesting this please. The particular one I have a problem with is the use of right-alt to paint in the room editor. My keyboard does not have a right alt, and in Mac, you cannot customize different behavior between right and left alt.