GameMaker Real-time Spell Checking (250,000+ English Dictionary Words)

Z

Zack

GM Version: GameMaker Studio 2 (also compatible with GameMaker Studio 1.4)
Target Platform: All
Download: https://github.com/zbanack/TSE-dictionary
Links: Blog post: https://www.zackbanack.com/blog/spellcheck-2018

Summary:
A video lesson where I walk you through the steps of incorporating real-time English spell checking into your GameMaker Studio project. This is essential to word games, and the code can be expanded to create autocorrect or autocomplete features.

Tutorial:

Last edited by a moderator:

Alexx

I like the feature of being able to quickly get a random word of a given length.

Anyone making a word themed game should check this out.

gnysek

All seems right, but for Polish language, there's around 61 MB of all possible words, so do you think it still will be so fast this way ? or I should divide it into files like A2, A2, A3... A14, B2, B3..... Z2, Z3.... Z15, and create ds maps for every letter and every length then ?

Very nice tutorial!
Is it possible to make it load any faster or load the words asynchronously?
It takes around 7 seconds to load each time

Mert

All seems right, but for Polish language, there's around 61 MB of all possible words, so do you think it still will be so fast this way ? or I should divide it into files like A2, A2, A3... A14, B2, B3..... Z2, Z3.... Z15, and create ds maps for every letter and every length then ?
You don't have to add the modified version of words like : sluchac >> slucham, sluchasz etc. This drastically decreases the amount of words you'd put in your app. (As a Turkish speaker I know what it looks like. Also I have B1 Pol. language level)

Very nice tutorial!
Is it possible to make it load any faster or load the words asynchronously?
It takes around 7 seconds to load each time
I've followed the @Zack 's post. Here's the FASTEST solution(which is in below 1 second on Mobile). First time you load a text file into list, just save the list as ds_list_save and copy the string. Next time, instead of loading from file, simply load the list from this text. (ds_list_load)
Enjoy

B

blane todd

I cannot get this to work at all. no matter how i implement dict_word_isvalid() and no matter what i pass though it, it always returns false.
I called dict_init() at the beginning and all files are included. what other step am i missing ??