• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Android Real-Time Multiplayer

Z

Zerone

My team and I are attempting to build a 5 vs 5 action multiplayer game in GameMaker for Android phones. At the moment I have a game prototype that has these players networked together, with each client updating relatively smoothly on the PC.
What I want to know is whether or not it is possible to get a fast-paced action multiplayer game running just as smoothly on Android? Has anyone had experience with this? Is it feasible for GameMaker to make reliable multiplayer games for phones?
We've looked into Extensions that run with Google's Real-Time Multiplayer API. Has anyone attempted making apps using one of them?

As much feedback as possible would be appreciated.

Thank you.

The-any-Key

I use the build in network functions and it works fine in fast-paced games. But you need to use lag compensate techniques and use predict code.

Z

Zerone

Great to hear. Have those fast-paced games worked well on phones?

Humayun

Yes, Multiplayer works on phones too but your server should be on PC. Also multiplayer stuff is easy but there are many problems like port-forwarding, packet loss e.t.c

Jabbers

Packet loss won't be a problem if you use TCP, but most people prefer UDP for multiplayer because it is faster. However, I think you might get away with TCP if you only intend to have 10 people connected to a server at any one time.