Free Raum Drive

Carloskhard

Man the game feel awesome and classic like I'm in the 90s !
I love the concept and having two diferent ships.
What I'm missing is music because it feels boring without music, a few more sound fx, more open areas to go full fast and less super slow,maybe some screenshakes,and overall some menu system to jump easily between maps and also checkpoints,because you want to quit the game after 10 minutes slowly passing a map and then dying and starting again with the other ship (Would be better if you could respwan there somehow or make shortcuts after taking some "white circles").
Improve those things and the game will be much nicer :D

woodsmoke

Hi Carloskhard. I'm glad you like it. This is an early version.
There will be music, not sure how much though.
Most sounds are missing, and the ones that are there need to be tweaked.
Level menu and game pad support are coming with the next update.
I still need to try out open maps with higher speeds and a camera.
Making a fast track now because you said so.

Last edited:
F

FROGANUS

ooh its fun and a bit of a challenge. I got to the level with the moving check points.
The two different ships are cool- will you need to use them together to solve levels?
if you mean to have 2 players, some indication could be nice, or options for 1 or 2 players, choose your craft etc..
i like how levels have different objective to pass. people might like indication of current objective, or at least some kind of hint, like it took me a minute to realize the timer was counting down, maybe some hud element could indicate 'survival', or 'race' , 'checkpoints' etc to make sure player isn't frustrating by changing rules.
yuuuuuuurp.. looks good!

woodsmoke

Thank you for the kind words.
Many different kinds of objectives is what I'm striving for. I have not thought of using the ships together co-op, probably not happening. Local VS multiplayer will probably happen. Yes hud, help, and stuff is lacking. Game is still in the experimental phase and changing alot.

Last edited:

woodsmoke

Things wot the spacecraft will be interacting with:

Need to do 3 or 4 more levels. Starting to run out of ideas.

HighlandCoo

Hey I really liked this and played for a little bit.

Some Issues
- Please tell us what we are supposed to be doing? It took a bit of trial and error to figure out what the object of the game was?
- The 2 ships thing is cool, but why do I have 2 ships? I was able to pass all the levels I saw with only one.
- The little ship with the single large booster, when you rotate it with A/D it also adds some backwards thrust (doesnt ONLY rotate, also slows down) which is a bit hard to handle and annoying.
- The level with the asteroids is too hard with 2 ships.

Other than that its pretty fun! Keep going!

woodsmoke

Hey I really liked this and played for a little bit.

Some Issues
- Please tell us what we are supposed to be doing? It took a bit of trial and error to figure out what the object of the game was?
- The 2 ships thing is cool, but why do I have 2 ships? I was able to pass all the levels I saw with only one.
- The little ship with the single large booster, when you rotate it with A/D it also adds some backwards thrust (doesnt ONLY rotate, also slows down) which is a bit hard to handle and annoying.
- The level with the asteroids is too hard with 2 ships.

Other than that its pretty fun! Keep going!
Thanks for playing Highlandcoo and sorry for the confusion. What you played is an alpha demo from 2017, the game is light years away from the current version.Yes there will be a text box at the beginning of each level telling you the objective. The levels with two ships were only to test local multiplayer, you won't be piloting two ships at the same time. I will look into the small rocket boosting backwards when I get home.

Last edited:

woodsmoke

Things are slowly starting to come together. Still a long way to go though.

Level screen with names. Some are temporary names.

woodsmoke

All seven colours are implemented now. They unlock as you unlock new levels.

I have all the standard levels finished now.
Hope I can release this game before 2021.
Mainly just sound and music is left to do now. :D

woodsmoke

Raum Drive is now virtually finished!
A "quasi-final" version has been uploaded.

Not sure if I should charge money for this game.
I'm going to leave it free for now.

(Set to 1080p for pixel perfect clarity)

Last edited:

woodsmoke

I came back to this project and exported it to Android:
100% free, no ads, no ingame purchases, no data collection, offline.
^And I've got other free games+toys on the Google Play Store too.

woodsmoke

I really like this sort of games.
But can you stretch the game to the whole screen please?
So happy you like the game :]
In the options you can adjust the screen stretch. But only pixel perfect increments. (A stylistic choice.) So that won't help you because it will be too zoomed in to see the whole levels. (I have about the same screen resolution as you). The game was originally made for big screens. And I thought as the touch controls are on the sceen edges your fingers don't get in the way of the action so much. But yeah everything is very small, just barely manageable.

I need to try out imperfect stretching and maybe pixel interpolation and see how that looks, maybe for an updated version Thank you for the feedback plutos.

Last edited:

woodsmoke

I really like this sort of games.
But can you stretch the game to the whole screen please?
Fixed!
Game now simply starts in fullscreen.
And level-menu navigation is better.
And the controls are more obvious.
Also a few other little fixes.