• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Design Randomly generated galaxy nebulas

jf_knight

I would like to learn how to render smokey multi-colored nebula clouds without the use of shaders similar to the ones you've seen in Heat Signature.
https://twitter.com/HeatSig/status/910903495355662336
Can anyone link me an example or perhaps a tutorial to learn how to achieve this?
I assume it has to do with some sort of script that generates noise particles, then it's just a matter of messing with the variables for density. I have very little knowledge about these effects so any and all help is appreciated.

NightFrost

If you're going to generate (draw) complex graphical effects you're wanting to use shaders, for speed. Otherwise it likely isn't going to be close to realtime, and you might just boot up GIMP or Photoshop instead, play around with could filters, and import the image to GM. The nebulae in those images seem to follow the constellations so it is not completely randomized, but I'd guess Perlin noise has been used as it can easily generate smoke patterns. I read somewhere else that the galaxy zoom effect (not visible in those images) is various nebula layers fading in and out depending on zoom level.