• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion Random Tile Brushes [Suggestion]

MilesThatch

Ok it's a small feature suggestion. Not a huge deal breaker and nothing too crucial. When we have a tile with multiple designs like several renditions of a ground tile, it would be nice to be able to set up randomized tile designs for a brush.

Like the tile animation feature allows you to select multiple animation frames. The random tile would allow you to select the multiple renditions of a tile and when you paint the tile, those random tiles would applied

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
This has been suggested before, and we will add "something" like this in the future.... Currently I'm favouring something like animations, where you can say for tile "X"->Pick one of these randomly. So whenever you paint with that, it'll choose one of them.

Something like that.... No time frame though.

MilesThatch

This has been suggested before, and we will add "something" like this in the future.... Currently I'm favouring something like animations, where you can say for tile "X"->Pick one of these randomly. So whenever you paint with that, it'll choose one of them.

Something like that.... No time frame though.
Well it's great to hear that you've heard our feedback, much appreciated.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Actually... this has loooong been a feature we wanted, but we couldn't add everything before release, we just have too many ideas! but it's great seeing the community ask for the same things we want, means we're on the right track :)

MilesThatch

Actually... this has loooong been a feature we wanted, but we couldn't add everything before release, we just have too many ideas! but it's great seeing the community ask for the same things we want, means we're on the right track :)
Just keepin this alive.

Currently I'm favouring something like animations, where you can say for tile "X"->Pick one of these randomly. So whenever you paint with that, it'll choose one of them.
though.
Yes, that's literally exactly what I was imagining by random tiles. Heck, you guys already have the animated tiles done, perhaps (in laments terms) copying the code and modifying it for random tiles would work.

Japster

....and just to resurrect this, I would LOVE to have a selection of tiles be used for random 'paint' using the fill tool - at present, it only uses one selected tile (even if I select multiple ones), which makes a very obvious duplicated tile pattern... :(

...and no, I can't really replace 'blank' tiles randomly, as my level is HUGE, plus I need to ensure no runtime randomness, for game run recording and playbacks. :(

Maybe we can create a 'brush' to tile with?

Either way, this is a really basic request, that would save SO much time when editing! - I don't want to edit outside of the current tile layer editor, as it's convenient, and besides this one feature missing, is excellent!

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
A simple work around would be to "fill" all areas you want to be filled with a random tile with a "known" tile that you won't use. Then at runtime, simply run over the map and do the random yourself.

It's be pretty quick and give you exactly what you want, using whatever rules you want.

Japster

A simple work around would be to "fill" all areas you want to be filled with a random tile with a "known" tile that you won't use. Then at runtime, simply run over the map and do the random yourself.

It's be pretty quick and give you exactly what you want, using whatever rules you want.
Thanks as always Mike! - My concern was the amount of time that this might take, over several layers' worth of tiles on a huge tile map? - I'm talking probably 2,000-3,000 tiles long, 40 tiles deep? (and potentially MUCH longer, in the final game?

If you think it'd be a quick thing for GML to do, perhaps if I use a second or so of "Get ready!" buying me some time, then great!

Cheers!

D

Deleted member 13992

I randomize tiles based on rules/weighting/exceptions I set on room start with a few for loops. Takes a tenth of a second to do 3 4000x4000 layers. I don't even notice it.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Yeah, you shouldn't really notice, Tile functions are pretty quick - especially with YYC.....

Try and see, tis the only real way to know for you specific needs. Wouldn't take long.