Random Thoughts and Ideas (PT3!)

M

metateen

Lamp Oil, Rope, Bombs? Its yours my friend ! As long as you have enough Rubies!

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Americans call them cookies, Brits call them biscuits, anyone else is free to choose whichever word they prefer. Swedish schools use BE for english classes, but since most of the internet seems to use AE by default...

Which also reminds me of GM removing autocompletition/help for the _color functions and replacing them with _colour. It still irks me; the number of native AE users being larger than the number of native BE users is just one of the reasons against.

S

Snail Man

Plus couldn't you have autocomplete/tooltips for both? Or detect time zone or something?

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
AFAIK the autocomplete thingie uses a big text file. It can be edited by the user, but it gets overwritten every time you download an update.

R

roytheshort

Why is the bottom section labeled "Normal Threads"? That's obviously not true.

H

Hiznopellagio

I quit.

Today I'm dropping everything I've known throughout the years I've been here and not here. I won't draw anything ever again, I won't make any more games, I'm dropping the GMC, everything. Heck, I would've dropped the internet as a whole if I weren't pursuing an IT career.

So first of all, let me reveal to you all that I'm a muslim. You read that right, my religion is Islam and I worship the God Allah. I'm pretty sure the respects you all had of me will drop, even if slightly, after reading that line, and that's natural. I could've posted this last post of mine without revealing my religion, but I want to let you all know that I have been a muslim all along, and that this is how normal muslims behave. No, scratch that, my actions are far lower than what Islam demands. Point is, we don't bomb people, as some of you more intelligent-minded people would've thought. We preach one God, and devote our life to Him, and that's about it. We don't go around blabbering jihad and start going on a killing spree shouting “Allahu Akbar”. No, 💩💩💩💩 that. We pray five times a day, we recite Al-Qur'an, we fast a month in a year (which I'm doing right now, it's Ramadhan), we feed the poor, we help people. I've helped people here. I talk normally, joke normally, I do everything just like any of you non-muslims would do. So I really hope any of you that have thought less of Islam, know that we're nothing like what the media depicted us. You know me, you know Islam now. (But please don't take any of my indecent behaviors (you know what I mean) into account, like I said I'm not a good muslim, and I'm planning to change that)

Now you might wonder why I'm quitting almost everything I've done, and love. Well Islam forbids drawing, painting, sculpting, music, and basically any form of art, something which most muslims don't know. All this time I feigned ignorance to all that, and acted like nothing is wrong, while actually I'm going strongly against my morale and, most importantly, religion. And gosh, this is hard. I'm crying for the first time in a long time. I've finally done something I'm happy with, I'm finally decent at drawing, I know I can make good games now, and I have some close friends that I'd be torn to part with, but I have to do this. I've slacked off for 17 years now, and today is the day I'm going to change that. It's extremely abrupt, I know. Only a few days ago I published the Click the GMCer game with Kepons, posted some stuff in No Context, participated in Tsme Fack, etc.. I could've waited until I at least participated in the GMC Jam, or when my game Isleward has entered Alpha.. But no, I've been thinking about this for months already, I can't stall for any longer, and I had a big discussion with my parents last night, which was the last straw, and only this morning I was able to set my mind.

So that's it, I guess. I will probably pop in here every once in a while, but I'm going to try my best to put aside any kind of distractions, and for once, focus on my religion and my future. I'm really going to miss you guys, I really do. You are all wonderful people which I doubt will find somewhere else. And I'm honestly sorry if for the wrongs I may have done to you, and for the unfinished business you might have with me. I'm sorry. I can't mention every single one of you cool guys in this post, but please know that I'm thinking of each one of you as I'm writing this.

Sincerely wishing you all the best,

Hiznopellagio out.

L

Law

If the decision is your own, then I respect it, however, it us worth noting I have many Muslim friends that would disagree with you. I inquire as to where in the Quran it forbids all forns of art?

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I think you would do the world a greater service by maintaining a presence on the GMC and proving that muslims too can be nerds that makes games, and that not all of them are extremist freaks. Right now, most westerners sees the extreme way more often than they see the integrated, normal muslims, and you've been part of the GMC long enough to be considered somewhat noteworthy. An example, if you will.

...but that's just my opinion.

A

Aura

That's so sad. But I have heard that Islam forbids drawing living beings. This is the first time I have heard something like that. I know many Muslim programmers and after a bit of research on Google, I have come to know that Islam does not forbid programming. It's just drawing animate things.

G

GVmG

I respect your choice to follow your religion to the point where it stops you from doing what you want to, because it's still your choice if you do so.

But I can't say this makes me feel better about you leaving. We were very close friends, and not being able to chat daily like we used to is going to be hard to deal with. Then again it's your life and your choice, so you're free to do so if it's what you believe is right.

I don't really know what else to say other than thank you. Thank you for dealing with my bullsh*t for over a year, and thank you for all the time we had together.

And finally thank you for introducing me to the osu! community, even though you didn't really get involved in it. I did, and that's where I met a lot of other people I talk with daily. And I wouldn't have been where I am right now without you.

This might be melancholic and all, it might sound dumb or depressing or anything, but I'm not sad that you left. Sure I'm not happy about it, but if it's your choice, I respect it. I don't think anyone on the GMC knows how close we are despite living on the exact opposite side of the world.

Once again, thank you.

pls enjoy game.

Kepons

Lost The Bet
That was completely unexpected, but if you want to pursue your religion and do what you feel is right and will make you feel better, I support you, Hiz. If it makes you purer on the inside, it's only for the best. That's of course a decision that makes me bitter, but such a bold step should be respected on its own.

I wish you luck with your career and still hope that you'll return to make awesome games (not necessarily as an artist).

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Um, I apologize in advance for what I am about to link, I really do, but...
http://i.imgur.com/GIEdxdO.png

Either way, I respect your decision and what lead you to it. Just one thing I would like to make sure of - can you pinpoint the teachings that forbid any kind of art, whatsoever? It's just that you yourself admitted you weren't quite a good muslim, and you still might not understand all teaching perfectly. It'd be quite a bummer if you quitted pursuing one of your passions and talents because you wrongly thought they are forbidden, whereas they are not. I figure no deity in their right mind would want their followers to let their followers' skills go to waste, either.

(the examples of Islamic art, especially architectural or geometric, seemed pretty convincing to me, too...)

Ninety

Damn, Hiz, I'll be sorry to see you go. I can only hope you can reconcile your desires to create with your own religious beliefs and come to some level of acceptance (in either direction). I'm not going to opine on religious topics I know nothing about, but I respect your decision, it's evidently taken a lot of willpower and courage.

As others have said, thanks for your many contributions to the forum and to the community. Hope to see you around, at some point.

H

Hiznopellagio

Okay so last night I thought about what I just posted, and pondered if I may have missed something in that harangue. Turns out I was right, I checked back this topic and am really overwhelmingly happy to see your supportive and positive responses, however, many of you questioned the base behind my action in this, to which I'm willing to explain, but not here. I'm still going to be around online, uninstalling stuff and closing down my social accounts, so for any of you that's genuinely interested interested, feel free to PM me, I'll be glad to give you the detailed verses and hadiths. I admit that it was wrong of me to to over-generalize art in Islam laws, and I'll explain further below.

But let me say this first. I'm dropping the biggest part of my life. Art is the only thing I do in my life, the only thing I'm decent at. I may have said that I was not a good muslim (I'm still not, it's only been one night), but that's simply because I know the laws of Islam pretty well, and just that like I said, I pretended to not know anything. So I wouldn't have done this if it was only for simple misunderstanding, I've thought about this through and through. Of course I was pretty reluctant at first, and I'm not happy at all to do this, but there are concrete laws on this. I tried finding loopholes and cracks in these laws, and I did find some, which got me staying around for several years, but yesterday I decided to quit and just move on.

So here's the thing; Islam only forbids drawing/painting/sculpting something that depicts living beings. Whoever tries to imitate God's creature, will be commanded to breath life into it at the end of the world, something that's needless to say, impossible. Islam, however, permits any kind of art (excluding music) that doesn't fall under that category. So things like nature painting, architecture, geometry, calligraphy, etc are still openly allowed.

But then again, if I can't draw living beings, I might as well quit entirely, both as a game developer and an artist. Because even if I can still be a nature painter (which I'm not interested in, at all), I won't be able to make anything else. I can't draw game sprites, I can't design characters, I can't make games. That's it, everything else is rendered useless, because characters are the core of art, no other way around.

However, the laws was made hundreds years ago, when the forms of art was used as a medium to make idols, to be paraded in town, to be hung on the walls and to be worshiped. But nowadays, art is used on a lot of things, one that's definitely not meant for people to prostrate in front of. That's the loophole I found, and most modern theologians agree on this, and they generally allow digital drawings and animations, with the aforementioned conditions.

But starting yesterday I decided not to take risks, and stick with the original laws. It's stupid, I know. But I believe of the existence of afterlife, one that I'd be afraid to live in in regrets should I have been wrong on this and decided to keep drawing. So I decided to move on, there are other things in life that I can do. Programming, for example.

It's only been one night, and I'm starting to doubt my decisions. I can just stay here and hang out with you guys, and act like nothing has happened. But eh, you guys are way too fun to hang out with, too fun that you'll be a distraction in my college study, which is starting in two months. So this time it's not goodbye, I guess? I'll probably roll in around here some time in the future, but not as a self-proclaimed artist, maybe as a distressed CS student, looking for help.

We'll see about that.

B

Braffolk

I think it's time to throw the christmas tree outside. Have to get a new one, christmas is starting again :)

L

Law

Ahh that's why Hiz, worth noting that not all Muslims consider all the Hadiths to be cannon, though.

Also it's totally possible to create games with no characters in them, I'd suggest you give it a try. It would be interesting to be able to demonstrate to other muslims who want to avoid depicting characters how you can create a game absent of them.

ElectroMan

Jack of All Shades
@Hiznopellagio you said you were still going to be around even after posting those messages. Unfortunately I was asleep and only got to them now, hopefully I am not too late. Obviously we are at odds ideologically: what you see as a moral imperative I see as a religiously affiliated attempt to establish a theocracy and subjugate whole societies. But that is neither there nor here, whatever you want to believe, I don't care. I want to attempt to bring out the logic in all of this, wholly apart from these dogmas you hold.

I realize aniconism is a long-held tenant in Islam, which originally was, as you correctly stated, to discourage idolatry. I have no qualms with that. However, this position is a ad hoc iteration in the Quran (which only forbids idolatry, nothing else), that is a hadith, and the Islamic jurisprudence is the main authority at play here. After all, moral imperatives are derived from oneself and only justified through external influences, that is to say, I don't believe you are going out and killing apostates or beheading unbelievers because I know you yourself deem it as immoral, even though it is condoned in your scripture. Heck, there are authorities in Islam that take the hadith that you are mentioning and interpreting it as though television is un-Islamic. Because hey, it does depict sentient beings.

My point is that you are already applying your own moral standards to the Quran and, like Christianity, Islam is in its way of getting reformed. That is to say, it will slowly start to abide by secular moral standards. However, if you still want to cling to that interpretation, as mentioned above, you can still make games with no characters. Tetris and Arkanoid come to mind. Most smartphone games don't have main characters at all. Think it through, it'll be a shame to waste such talent on trivial reasons.

R

roytheshort

There's over 700 topics now, which means we recently had our 666th topic.

And wouldn't you know, I found it. Can't say I'm impressed by its forum-changing epicness or anything, though.
Oh well, maybe topic 6666 will have more blood.

N

NPT

I don't agree that just because someone makes a decision that is religiously based, there is an expectation that their decision is to be respected. Atleast respected in a way that is beyond other decisions motivations.

Religion does not deserve the free pass everyone extends it.

L

Law

I don't agree that just because someone makes a decision that is religiously based, there is an expectation that their decision is to be respected. Atleast respected in a way that is beyond other decisions motivations.

Religion does not deserve the free pass everyone extends it.
Thank God that didn't happen then, and that when someone says they've thought hard and come to conclusion on something, that although others express doubts, the freedom to chose how to live your life is always respected.

N

NPT

Thank God that didn't happen then, and that when someone says they've thought hard and come to conclusion on something, that although others express doubts, the freedom to chose how to live your life is always respected.
It happens all the time.

For example many anti-vaxxers. In almost every state in the US exemptions for geting children vaccinated can be for religous reasons. Decisions like that are nonsense and should not be respected.

That's a free pass that is extended to the religious .

I question anybody who claims they thought long and hard about something and then makes a decison that is supported by ancient reliogous belief.

Do you respect those who thought long and hard about their daughter being raped and choose to stone her to death because she had sex out of wedlock?

ElectroMan

Jack of All Shades
His decision is being respected because it's something that only affects his freedom and his own choices. He is not enforcing it on anyone else but himself. If he said "I now decide that every painting is idolatry and that you shouldn't paint and we should make this legal" then I would not-so-politely tell him to buzz off into the distance and seriously reflect on his position.

As of now, a self-inflicted restriction because of religious views that doesn't affect anyone else's life is acceptable. I don't respect the action per se, only his freedom to do it.

L

Law

People have the freedom to live how they choose, but this applies to those around them also. You do not have the freedom to restrict others freedoms.

R

roytheshort

Well, Hiz wasn't restricting anyone's beliefs. There's obviously some crossed wires here, or someone implying something.

I don't agree that just because someone makes a decision that is religiously based, there is an expectation that their decision is to be respected.
Were you replying to anyone here?

G

graviax

I quit.

Today I'm dropping everything I've known throughout the years I've been here and not here. I won't draw anything ever again, I won't make any more games, I'm dropping the GMC, everything. Heck, I would've dropped the internet as a whole if I weren't pursuing an IT career.

So first of all, let me reveal to you all that I'm a muslim. You read that right, my religion is Islam and I worship the God Allah. I'm pretty sure the respects you all had of me will drop, even if slightly, after reading that line, and that's natural. I could've posted this last post of mine without revealing my religion, but I want to let you all know that I have been a muslim all along, and that this is how normal muslims behave. No, scratch that, my actions are far lower than what Islam demands. Point is, we don't bomb people, as some of you more intelligent-minded people would've thought. We preach one God, and devote our life to Him, and that's about it. We don't go around blabbering jihad and start going on a killing spree shouting “Allahu Akbar”. No, **** that. We pray five times a day, we recite Al-Qur'an, we fast a month in a year (which I'm doing right now, it's Ramadhan), we feed the poor, we help people. I've helped people here. I talk normally, joke normally, I do everything just like any of you non-muslims would do. So I really hope any of you that have thought less of Islam, know that we're nothing like what the media depicted us. You know me, you know Islam now. (But please don't take any of my indecent behaviors (you know what I mean) into account, like I said I'm not a good muslim, and I'm planning to change that)

Now you might wonder why I'm quitting almost everything I've done, and love. Well Islam forbids drawing, painting, sculpting, music, and basically any form of art, something which most muslims don't know. All this time I feigned ignorance to all that, and acted like nothing is wrong, while actually I'm going strongly against my morale and, most importantly, religion. And gosh, this is hard. I'm crying for the first time in a long time. I've finally done something I'm happy with, I'm finally decent at drawing, I know I can make good games now, and I have some close friends that I'd be torn to part with, but I have to do this. I've slacked off for 17 years now, and today is the day I'm going to change that. It's extremely abrupt, I know. Only a few days ago I published the Click the GMCer game with Kepons, posted some stuff in No Context, participated in Tsme Fack, etc.. I could've waited until I at least participated in the GMC Jam, or when my game Isleward has entered Alpha.. But no, I've been thinking about this for months already, I can't stall for any longer, and I had a big discussion with my parents last night, which was the last straw, and only this morning I was able to set my mind.

So that's it, I guess. I will probably pop in here every once in a while, but I'm going to try my best to put aside any kind of distractions, and for once, focus on my religion and my future. I'm really going to miss you guys, I really do. You are all wonderful people which I doubt will find somewhere else. And I'm honestly sorry if for the wrongs I may have done to you, and for the unfinished business you might have with me. I'm sorry. I can't mention every single one of you cool guys in this post, but please know that I'm thinking of each one of you as I'm writing this.

Sincerely wishing you all the best,

Hiznopellagio out.
Can't you just believe in a god and his idea without imitating the other people who believe in the same thing?

This is seriously making me sad and it lower even more my faith in humanity.

N

NPT

Were you replying to anyone here?
No.

I'm pretty consistant about quoting what I'm replying to. The only time I don't is when I'm replying directly after somebody.

Can't you just believe in a god and his idea without imitating the other people who believe in the same thing?
The reason almost everybody believes in a god is because everyone else in their social/family/cultural groups believe.

R

roytheshort

I want to put VIVEs on people when they sleep and make them simulate their lives, then on April the first next year I remove it and show them they've been in a room walking into walls for just under a year.

G

GVmG

We're going too deep.

It remembers me of that theory about humanity reaching the singularity and our thoughts and minds working together to figure out the answer to life in a matter of milliseconds. As soon as we accomplish that, we realize that now our existence is useless, so we have two choices: 1. we just suicide, because after all we have nothing else to do in the universe and 2. we start making something to do.

Despite the first option being the most depressing one, the second one is the trippy one. With enough processing power to figure out the answer to everything in a matter of milliseconds, simulating an universe similar to our own shouldn't be a problem. So in our singularity, we start that. And eventually that universe grows and expands and another intelligent life form appears. We're still ignoring our universe (of which we already know everything) and focusing on just observing the simulated universe we have created.

After a bit, that new intelligent life form that we're simulating will also reach their singularity. At that point they will have the same choice, suicide or find something else to do. And the cicle will repeat.

But if it's a cicle, that means we are also in a simulated universe created by a singularity, and that singularity is in a simulated uiverse created by yet another singularity in yet another simulated univ-

Yeah. It's almost as bad as that time I took the multiverse theory and added macaroni to it.