• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Random questions about tiles/backgrounds/cameras

I

izark

I tried to download the beta but there are no slots available. The information about tiles was not very clear to me.
I am making a game where rooms are built using basically tiles in GM.1.4. I am writting this after reading the FAQ.

1- If I import this game to GM 2, will I still be able to manipulate my old tiles like from GM 1.4?
2- What is this new tile layer asset?
3- If backgrounds are now sprites, will my backgrounds still be present in my rooms if I upgrade to GM 2?
4- About views: I have a shader that uses views, will they be compatible? Or will I have to move to this new camera system?

Thank you.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
1) No. Tiles from 1.4 are actually recreated in 2 using the new "Asset Layer" which means they are being treated as sprites rather than tiles.

2) The tile layer is a MUCH more optimised way of generating tiles using a proper tile system (meaning that you can only place tiles on a grid, but permitting animations and other cool things)

3) Yes, only they will be converted into either a background layer or an asset layer depending on how you added them in 1.4

4) Maybe... Views should work thanks to the fantastic work the devs have done creating compatibility scripts to convert the view functions into camera functions for you, BUT it's not 100% guaranteed and may need some tinkering if combined with shaders.

:)

I

izark

1) No. Tiles from 1.4 are actually recreated in 2 using the new "Asset Layer" which means they are being treated as sprites rather than tiles.

2) The tile layer is a MUCH more optimised way of generating tiles using a proper tile system (meaning that you can only place tiles on a grid, but permitting animations and other cool things)

3) Yes, only they will be converted into either a background layer or an asset layer depending on how you added them in 1.4

4) Maybe... Views should work thanks to the fantastic work the devs have done creating compatibility scripts to convert the view functions into camera functions for you, BUT it's not 100% guaranteed and may need some tinkering if combined with shaders.

:)
Ok, thanks for the fast response.
I hope new slots will be available to check these changes in the future and provide feedback

rIKmAN

Ok, thanks for the fast response.
I hope new slots will be available to check these changes in the future and provide feedback
Not sure if they are all gone now but there were ~500 slots opened up about an hour or so ago.