Random Moving Objects

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Alexis3335, May 25, 2018.

1. Alexis3335

Alexis3335 Member

Hello,
    I am making an Asteroid-like game and I am a begginer.I now have a spaceship that follows your cursor and moves and it even has a little flame animation,but I have trouble with the "asteroids".I made the object with the sprite,but how can I make it so it moves randomly on the room and when it hits the player,you go to the "Game Over" room I will make (for this part of coding,I'm okay)Could you guys help me?Thanks for your time :)
    (Picture is showing my Spaceship object coding for now,idk if it's usefull but I put it just in case) View attachment 18590

2. Jdown79

Jdown79 Member

so in create you can call image_angle to be random on spawn ( I think irandom(0,359))
    and then call direction to that angle, and apply a speed.

as for game over, if place_meeting() is how you can call the collision.

3. Alexis3335

Alexis3335 Member

I don't really get,I wrote irandom(0,359) but you only need 1 argument,not 2.As for the speed and direction,what commands should I use?

4. flerpyderp

flerpyderp Member

irandom indeed requires only 1 argument, Jdown79 likely meant irandom_range which isn't necessary if the lowest value required is 0.

You could use the functions random_range, irandom_range, or choose in the create event of those objects. I recommend reading the manual on how these commonly used functions work.

5. Jdown79

Jdown79 Member

Ahh yes, my mistake, i did mean random_range, but as flerpy has said, is an unnecessary function for this case.

6. Alexis3335

Alexis3335 Member

I found a fix on YouTube,but thanks for your help! I will read the manual too :)