• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Random crashes on game run

Y

Yozzik

Hi GM community.

I'm facing an annoying problem with crashes. Here are main points:
1. game keeps crashing (GameMaker Studio 2 Runner has stopped working) right from start or a few seconds later.
2. It happens randomly, like on 60%-70% of starts, so it's not a bug in code as there is no random things there.
3. It happens when i run game from GMS2 and when i try compiled build.

My Studio is up to date. I've tried to delete\change sprites and spine objects from the project, but no luck. I've also tried to delete GMS2 (files, appdata, registry keys), still nothing.

I've submitted a bug report few days ago, but had no reply of any kind. While it's silent there, can anybody help me with it? Like, any ideas on things to check or additional info requests.

Japster

Yep - agree with @Yozzik , experiencing the *exact* same thing after this 'mandatory' update, GM guys...

My game was running great prior to this. Kinda wishing I hadn't gone for it, but not even sure I can revert as this update is stating it's a mandatory one, due to licensing issues?

Random crashes etc. I'm heavily using dynamically cleared and resized arrays / DSGrids, if that helps? - can't help thinking possibly a memory leak/clearing issue of some sort may have been introduced with this update?

Cheers guys....

Y

Yozzik

Japster, i'm looking for a solution to check the game without ds_grid (they're on the very ground level of the logic and it's not easy get (g)rid of them). Will post my results asap.

Dog Slobber, as far as i remember, 2.1.4.288 is mandatory update and by this logic it won't let me to use older version. However, can you help me and point where can i get significantly older version? Just can't find it on yoyogames.

Mick

Dog Slobber, as far as i remember, 2.1.4.288 is mandatory update and by this logic it won't let me to use older version. However, can you help me and point where can i get significantly older version? Just can't find it on yoyogames.
You can choose an older runtime from the preferences in the IDE (Preferences / Runtime Feeds / Master). Version 2.1.3.189 is the version before the new bugs were added.

Y

Yozzik

Yay, thanks!
So i've tried all available runtimes. No crashes in v2.1.2.172.

Hope it will do. Thanks a lot for your help, guys.
Here's a cover\banner of my game, just to add something visually kewl to this thread.

Japster

Just to add that I've tried earlier runtimes, and still getting crashes VERY frequently... went back to 2.1.3.xx earliest, but may also try 12.x.x just in case...

The HUGELY annoying thing in all of this is that I cannot compare by running the earlier 2.1.3.x build I have, as I can no longer install it without it wanting to update, and I can't poke it in the eye regarding it seeing this update, as it needs to be online and server-connectable to even allow login / authentication....

Have to say, I'm massively annoyed by this turn of events - I was starting to *LOVE* YoYo / GMS2 (and was singing its praises), made really quick progress, professional, easy to use, etc - ironically, I ditched another 'vegetable' themed game creation tool because I was sick to death of it constantly getting broken to the point where games cannot be released, and every update brings more bugs than fixes. I'm getting a bad case of deja vu....

So... ....I really, REALLY hope that this mandatory and seemingly broken (which I'm really peeved about, as I was happily developing my game at my own release schedule, and now seem stuck with a broken, buggy mess) update isn't the future of things - we should really have been able to make up our own minds, and update once/if we needed the RELEASE functionality / security...

I've gone from being over the moon with this software, to pretty pessimistic, over this one massive impact on my early experiences of what is an otherwise fantastic game creation tool....

Y

Yozzik

To be honest, i'm feeling the same way and really hope this annoying bug will be fixed.
2.1.2 works good for like 6 hours already, glad there is a temporary solution.

Please don't forget to submit your report and make sure to describe everything in details. I believe we can help those guys to keep GM as cool as it is.

G

Grzegorz Kowal

I’ve similar problem now, game crashes randomly without error. Have you got any reply from yoyo games?