Released Ralf's Adventure: Aztec Mystery

C

Crimson

Title_Screen_Huge.png

Buy on Steam or Itchio

Story
Join Ralf Kennedy in his first adventure!
Ralf's Mother is an archaeologist, and brought you along on an expedition for your summer vacation.
While exploring a temple, she falls deep within its chambers, and is trapped.
The local legends speak of Mictlantecuhtli, the God of the Dead, and this is his temple!
As the star player of your local baseball team, take up the bat, and smack any creepy-crawlies that lie between you and your Mother!

About
In this game, you will navigate labyrinthine temples, finding relics that will prove critical to solving the ancient puzzles.
As with any ancient temple, there are traps aplenty, and you must keep your wits about if you wish to have any hope of finding your Mother!
Descend through 8 different temples, fighting Guardians, and collecting their golden idols to open the way to Mictlantecuhtli's deepest lair.

This is a game I've been working on on my own for several months.
The idea was to create a simple retro-style top-down adventure game with platforming elements (floors with different heights, jumping over pits, and avoiding traps) all while combating the creatures that lie in ancient temples.
The game focuses more on the action side of things, but the puzzle solving and platforming feed into the action with the player needing to take care what height they're at when attacking enemies (you can get the drop on an enemy, but the same is true for them!)

I've been using everything I've learned over the past decade to make this project a reality, and I hope to complete it before next year so everyone can play it!
Ralf's Adventure: Aztec Mystery has keyboard and gamepad support, and you can choose button icons for several different controllers to match your own!

After just over a year of development, Ralf's Adventure: Aztec Mystery launches on January 6th, 2021!

Last edited by a moderator:

Yrbiax

Hey, i tried your demo.

ralf.png

Character was kinda slow, but i suppose it adds to retro feel.
Couldnt figure out how to get that potion that was surrounded by water. Is there somekind of hidden platform?

It took me while to figure out how to change weapons. I think right shift is weird choice. Maybe C would be better option.

Last edited:
C

Crimson

Hey, i tried your demo.

View attachment 32291

Character was kinda slow, but i suppose it adds to retro feel.
Couldnt figure out how to get that potion that was surrounded by water. Is there somekind of hidden platform?

It took me while to figure out how to change weapons. I think right shift is weird choice. Maybe C would be better option.
Thank you for trying the demo.
I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner, but I've since added a button overlay next to the weapons, so it will show your Attack and Select buttons/keys.
I also added a readme with the default keyboard/gamepad controls in it.

pixeltroid

I really liked the game. Good sound. Very nice and clean pixel graphics. Brings back fond memories of the dungeons in the Legend of Zelda.

BUT arrow keys for controls really diminished the experience for me. Arrow keys for movement are outdated in 2020.

Please consider adding alternate WASD controls. It's much more practical and is closer to the control layout in consoles -- movement buttons on left, action buttons on right that people are used to.

C

Crimson

I really liked the game. Good sound. Very nice and clean pixel graphics. Brings back fond memories of the dungeons in the Legend of Zelda.

BUT arrow keys for controls really diminished the experience for me. Arrow keys for movement are outdated in 2020.

Please consider adding alternate WASD controls. It's much more practical and is closer to the control layout in consoles -- movement buttons on left, action buttons on right that people are used to.
Thank you for playing the demo and giving feedback, pixeltroid!

I appreciate your preference for different controls, however, using the arrow keys seems to provide a lower barrier-to-entry for players, and many long-time players I've seen use them for 2D games.
The default controls are listed on the download page, and are available to download.
Additionally, you can customize your controls fully!

Sometime down the line, I have planned a button that lets you configure all your controls in a row, instead of manually selecting each control and changing them one-by-one, but that might only make it in the full game, as there is currently already a way to customize controls.

pixeltroid

Thank you for playing the demo and giving feedback, pixeltroid!

I appreciate your preference for different controls, however, using the arrow keys seems to provide a lower barrier-to-entry for players, and many long-time players I've seen use them for 2D games.
The default controls are listed on the download page, and are available to download.
Additionally, you can customize your controls fully!

Sometime down the line, I have planned a button that lets you configure all your controls in a row, instead of manually selecting each control and changing them one-by-one, but that might only make it in the full game, as there is currently already a way to customize controls.
Yeah I just noticed that I can customize my controls! I'm playing it again. Apologies for my previous post. Please disregard it.

pixeltroid

I just finished the demo. It was very well done.
Very nice pixel art -- Crisp and clear. Very nice colors.
Superb music. Really gave me flashbacks of the classics.
Nice level design.

Keep posting updates. Can't wait to play the next demo and of course, the full game.

Good luck with the game

fwiw, I don't like wasd controls for movement, and they don't feel outdated at all to me. It feels like they only became standard with Western indie devs because all they made were top down shooters for fifteen years straight. (Not you, Western GM devs in general.)

I still see plenty of games using arrow keys, especially jp ones.
Giving both options would be best though, obviously. Most PC games let you remap controls for a reason, hahah.

C

Crimson

I've uploaded a new trailer to coincide with the announcement of the Steam Page, and the new demo!

I've included an In-game Options Menu, as well as a "Rebind All" button that brings you through all controls in a row, so you don't have to manually switch through.