Graphics Rain Effect

Ladi_Pix3l

I'm curious on how others design rain.
I myself draw diagonal or straight lines randomly in a transparent background and then loop the background to simulate the effect.
It's not the most effective way but it does for the most part get the job done.

F

Felipe Rybakovas

This one is a good example of rain effect using particles.

NightFrost

Like one of the built in GM8 ones or one you've created yourself?
I'm not familiar with GM8 but there should be very little difference between using builtin particle sprites and providing your own. Just go through a particle tutorial or three (like the one linked above) to get the basic idea. Once you understand them you can use them on other effects besides just rain.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
The background approach has the drawback of all raindrops moving at uniform speeds, which doesn't look super-good. I'd recommend just making your own particles for it, it's not that huge of a performance hit and there's a lot of things you can do with them to make them look better than GM's built-in rain particle effect (e.g. add in a death effect that makes your raindrops split into a bunch of droplets that go in random directions, and it looks like they hit the ground!). I did some snow particles a while ago that uses directional wiggle and fading from blue to white to blue again over their lifetime, and it makes them look a lot more natural than GM's built-in ones, despite using the same sprite.

EDIT: Here's the code~
Doesn't look that hard, now does it? :3
upload_2017-12-26_18-47-51.png
(I use that temporary variable for every particle inited in that script, so it's easier to copypaste lines when adding in new types)

Ladi_Pix3l

The background approach has the drawback of all raindrops moving at uniform speeds, which doesn't look super-good. I'd recommend just making your own particles for it, it's not that huge of a performance hit and there's a lot of things you can do with them to make them look better than GM's built-in rain particle effect (e.g. add in a death effect that makes your raindrops split into a bunch of droplets that go in random directions, and it looks like they hit the ground!). I did some snow particles a while ago that uses directional wiggle and fading from blue to white to blue again over their lifetime, and it makes them look a lot more natural than GM's built-in ones, despite using the same sprite.

EDIT: Here's the code~
Doesn't look that hard, now does it? :3
View attachment 15329
(I use that temporary variable for every particle inited in that script, so it's easier to copypaste lines when adding in new types)
Interesting. and the pt_shape_snow is your sprite for the effect?

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Interesting. and the pt_shape_snow is your sprite for the effect?
Yes and no. It's one of the built-in particle shapes (the same one the default snow particle is using), and I found it handy compared to drawing a sprite myself and making it look as nice :p
(There's another function that lets you use an arbitrary sprite from your resource tree as well, should be part_type_sprite if I remember correctly. I also think it has some more arguments for stuff like how to animate it)