1. Hey! Guest! The 32nd GMC Jam will take place between Feb 22nd, 12:00 UTC (Friday noon) and Feb 25th, 12:00 UTC (Monday noon). Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

Windows Rabbit's Quest [Metroidvania Schmup] (95%)

Discussion in 'Work in Progress' started by DirectShift, Jan 19, 2018.

1. DirectShift

DirectShift Member

Hello people! I'm writing this because I need your help and your opinion!

The game is going well, I'm working hard to make it fun and pleasant for you.

I have one problem however... maybe it's not a problem and it's just my perspective.

To define the problem with two words I would use: Difficulty Balancing

Let me tell you about it:

In this game, you have the possibility of buying life by killing enemies. The system works like this: You complete rooms, you get points... you trade those points for life (it increases your max hp).

This game is a metroidvania, so you have relative freedom to explore. Until you reach the third boss of the game you don't have complete freedom, and the difficulty is somewhat "fixed"... by fixed I mean... you could complete all the rooms you want at this point and it still would be somewhat hard.

But here's the thing... once you kill the third boss... the world opens up entirely. Here's the problem... from this point, you can:

1) go and do the "normal route" and then go for the final boss... (maybe pick up a powerup or two, maybe increasing your life)

2) or you can go the "alternative route" and try to get all the powerups and max hp... and then continue the "normal route"... with a very powerful character.

If you do 1), then getting to the final boss is going to be somewhat hard and challenging...

But if you do 2), which is also hard by itself... then getting to the final boss will be easy... and maybe it won't be fun because you are going to do the last areas without too much difficulty and it won't be challenging...

Of course, you still have the BIG secret and you need to be maxed to do it whatever route you take (and it's challenging) but that's another topic.

---

Should I adjust this difficulty problem? is it even a problem?

I don't know what to think about it...

2. Bluetail7

Bluetail7 Member

how about an extreme difficult final stage, with no health recovers till the pre boss room, where you can save your progress and idk, get a legendary item/powerup?

DirectShift likes this.
  3. CMAllen

CMAllen Member

The answer lies in the games that inspired this genre -- the final bosses end up being something of a pushover if you spend all that time powering up your character. Or, more accurately, the final boss isn't hair-wrenching, controller-hurling difficult to beat.

DirectShift likes this.
  4. DirectShift

DirectShift Member

Well... that was fast lol.

I think I found a solution to this problem. I read on the internet a bit and it's a common problem with metroidvanias (exploration and difficulty curve).

My solution (which has to be tested yet) works like this:

- Don't make this choice explicit, don't tell the player where he can find these powerups, that way he could try to get to the final areas thinking that maybe... the powerups are there!

- Limit the number of powerups he can get before the final boss... this means that once he kills the final boss, he will get a special ability that gives him the ability to access the rest of the secret and powerups.

That would be the super secret =P, you literally need to get all powerups and hp to access the secret area.

Yes, after some investigation I found this is a common problem. =)

---

Thanks!

Be sure to stick around here because I plan to give the game for beta testing very soon!!!

5. DirectShift

DirectShift Member

Oooohh man!! These weeks have been very productive.

My goal was to get to 88% this month... and I already completed it and I still have some days left!!

That means I went from 85% to 88% in just a couple weeks.

that 3% stands for a bit more than 90 features and bug fixes of varied complexity... amazing!

- The final secret area is finished (still have to do the boss)
    - I did some secret work that you are going to see in a couple weeks =D
    - I changed the initial plot of the game (screenplay)
    - Fixed A LOT of bugs and added LOTS of features
    - Improved the bosses deaths
    - Fixed the difficulty of the game (the problem I explained in the last post)
    - Added a couple of new enemies =D
    - Improved the dash graphic, it was very boring in the past... now it looks super cool

And more...

Goal for November? Get to 92% (or more)

So... let me show you a small image.

This would be the first room of the game, can you guess what happened?

Captura.PNG

6. markfe

markfe Member

Wow, I just played the demo. Wanted to just try it for a bit but played through the boss.
    The enemies are really diverse and have nice rhythm.
    I also found the difficulty was very balanced, not to easy and not to hard.
    Would love to play it with a controller. I saw that you bought one and assume that you will use it :)

7. DirectShift

DirectShift Member

Heeyy thanks for playing!!

Yes! you will be able to play it with a gameplad.

I saw you are creating a metrodvania too, amazing!

8. DirectShift

DirectShift Member

Just uploaded the official trailer for the game!

IT HAS NEW AND COLORIZED GRAPHICS FOR THE ENEMIES!!!

Bluetail7 likes this.
  9. DirectShift

DirectShift Member

Hello everyone!
    This month I managed to add another 2% to the game and right now stands at 90%.

Progress has slowed down, I'm having a bit of motivation problem working on it. I'm also having problems working on the last 2 songs of the game.

But I'm not worried, eventually I'm going to overcome this obstacle.

On another note... in a couple days this project is going to turn 1 year! That's amazing, I never worked on a game so long and productive.

Eventually I'm going to need beta testers, tell me if you are interested!

10. markfe

markfe Member

Hi there,
    your game will be great (the demo is already cool), so please work, work, work :)
    When the time comes, I would be up for some testing.

11. Kapser

Kapser Member

I was so inspired by hero core when I first played it. Looking foward to play Rabbit's Quest!

12. DirectShift

DirectShift Member

Thanks! I'm having a hard time writing the "end credits" song. Right now i'm on the 6th iteration!

After playing Hero Core I decided "I MUST DO SOMETHING LIKE THIS"

13. AlexDerFerri

AlexDerFerri Member

Hi dude! Nice game, the old style graphics and music took me back to my childhood.
    It looks and feels like a classic Nes game.
    That would be great if I could play it with an actual Nes controller ahahah. I really enjoyed playing it, anyway!
    Keep it up!

DirectShift likes this.
  14. DirectShift

DirectShift Member

Yes!!! there already support for controllers in the last version =)

---

On other hand, I have good news, I finally managed to progress on the "end credits" song, currently on the 6th iteration... it took a while but damn, it's sounding good!

15. DirectShift

DirectShift Member

Hello everyone!! great news! Game is at 95%... it's very very close to release!

These last months I worked on...

+ bug fixing
    + completed the secret final boss
    + completed the credit roll and music
    + completed the screenplay for the normal ending
    + composed the secret final boss music

This is basically the last grunt work I had to do... what's next??

+ screenplay for the second ending (takes 2-3 days max)
    + add missing sounds (takes 5 days max)
    + add missing explosions and enemies deaths (takes 5 days max)
    + final details and final testing (around 1 week of work)
    + build the site on itch.io and add payment options... (2-3 days)

The good thing is that these tasks are easy, I already did a lot of testing on the last... well... around the entire time I 've been working on this game! which is ~14 months! a lot of time!

Goal for this month? bring the game progress to 99%...!

See you in a couple weeks!