• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Quick Slots Inventory

I am trying to make Quick Inventory Slots.
global.inventoryLIst = ds_list_create(); //player inventory
global.quickSlotsLIst = ds_list_create(); //Quick Slots (3 slots)

From inventory, I transfer the item to Quick Slots Inventory.
How to make the first slot responsible for equipping weapons, the second for equipping melee weapons, and the third for the first aid kit.
In game I press button "1", firearms are selected, button "2" is melee weapons, I press button "3", a first aid kit is used.

TailBit

If you item is a ds_map with stuff like "name", "amount" .. then give it a item "type"

So when you drag a item to your quickbar slot, then you got the list and position of the grabbed and the one you are currently over
grab_list
grab_pos
over_list
over_pos

Then you have to check what list you try to drop the item in, if it is the quickslot then check which position you are dropping it in, have a different item type check for each of them

When dropping it in a slot then I check:
GML:
if move_valid( grab_list[| grab_pos], over_list,over_pos)
&& move_valid( over_list[| over_pos], grab_list,grab_pos){
    slot_swap(over_list,over_pos, grab_list,grab_pos)
}
the move_valid script:

GML:
function move_valid(_item,_list,_pos) {
    if _item==noone return true; // if this slot is empty, allow the move

if _list == global.quickSlotsLIst{
        var type = _item[? "type"];
        switch(_pos){
            case 0: return type == "meele"; break; // I don't think the breaks are nessesary here
            case 1: return type == "ranged"; break;
            case 2: return type == "usable"; break;
        }
    }

return true; // if any other list that we not check for .. allow it
}
EDIT: I forgot the accessor for ds lists, also changed so it uses the accessor for map instead of ds_map function

Last edited: