• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Quick questions about my mac

305Los

Hi all, new to all this just need some clarification. It seems there is no longer a "lite" or "free" version for the mac and I would have to buy the $150 Mac version? I want to get involved in game making but was hoping to try it out for free first, from what I can tell being a mac user this won't be possible?

Thank you in advance!

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I would have to buy the $150 Mac version?
What $150 Mac version? The situation at the moment is:

GMS 2 will have a native Mac IDE sometime in the future (Q3 of this year is slated release date).
GMS1.4 doesn't have a Mac version.
The old GM for Mac (based on 8.1) is no longer available...

305Los

What $150 Mac version? The situation at the moment is:

GMS 2 will have a native Mac IDE sometime in the future (Q3 of this year is slated release date).
GMS1.4 doesn't have a Mac version.
The old GM for Mac (based on 8.1) is no longer available...
Ok that must be the Mac export. Yeah I was slightly confused but thank you for the clarification. So right now I can't use the software on my mac until 3rd quarter this year is what I am understanding. Thank you Nocturne!

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
305los,
I have a Mac as well, and run gamemaker Studio, and spent over 2 months trying to figure that out.
Right now, you can still download the legacy Mac version on the Wayback machine here: <snip>
(I'm guessing you thought that GMS:2 worked for Windows, Mac and Linux)
Considering that GM4Mac was terrifyingly outdated (on par with GM7 \ ~2007) at the moment of discontinuing, it would be a way better idea to sign up for Mac IDE closed beta for GMS2 instead.

D

DigitalProphet

Also looking forward to the Mac version. Currently dual booting to Windows via Bootcamp. Not ideal at all and the only reason I have to do that is GameMaker Studio 1.4.
I can't wait to not do that anymore. :)

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
I use virtualbox, works perfectly and it's free
That's odd, VirtualBox is only working for me with GMS 1.x, for GMS 2.x it crashes right after logging in.

What's your setup? Mine has a Windows 7 64-bit guest with DirectX 11.

H

Homunculus

That's odd, VirtualBox is only working for me with GMS 1.x, for GMS 2.x it crashes right after logging in.

What's your setup? Mine has a Windows 7 64-bit guest with DirectX 11.
It's a Windows 8 64-bit (sigh...) with DirectX 11

D

DigitalProphet

Today is the day the closed Beta for Mac rolls out right?
Seriously hoping I get to test it out.
If it works well (given that it's a beta of course) they have my money. :)