Questions regarding Variables, Drag & Drop and GM2 functions

S

ShadowJacker

Hello

I'm completly new to GM2. I just downloaded the trial and started playing around with it making simple platformers etc.
I'm a graphical designer and want to invest time and money to learn a game making software that can deliver on my needs, I only develope 2D games.
From before I have experience with dev. games with Renpy, Tyranobuilder, RPG maker etc. but I want to move up and use a more pro-tool, and my brother is very content with GM2.

Like many people, I suck at coding. My mind is very art/music/writing oriented (I know coders hate posts like this, but I have to be honest). In Renpy I can do basic coding, in Tyranobuilder and RPG maker you have easy drag and drop/event functions that make it easy to avoid scripting but at the same time being able to make a "heavy" game.

I was wondering (before I invest alot of time reading tutorials/books and buying licenses for GM):

1. How much can you develope in GM2 using only drag & drop functionality? With this I mean: Can you edit variables (substract, add, multiply etc) or do you have to code this in by writing?
2. Can you make Visual novels with RPG elements in it only using drag and drop, or is coding unavoidable?
3. Is there any good books, courses or video tutorials for developing visual novels and rpg games only using drap and drop on the net that members here can recommend? (I have no problem paying as long as it teaches me what I need)

Thank you for any answers and I hope I posted this in the correct part of the forum.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
1. How much can you develope in GM2 using only drag & drop functionality? With this I mean: Can you edit variables (substract, add, multiply etc) or do you have to code this in by writing?
Well, technically you can do everything in DnD that you can do in GML, as there are special actions that permit you to call GML functions to do stuff that aren't available as custom actions. However, if you are using these actions frequently, then you might just be best to use GML. That said, with "pure" DnD you can still do a hell of a lot (and don't let anyone tell you otherwise! :p )

2. Can you make Visual novels with RPG elements in it only using drag and drop, or is coding unavoidable?
Yes, but with the caveat of the comment above.

3. Is there any good books, courses or video tutorials for developing visual novels and rpg games only using drap and drop on the net that members here can recommend? (I have no problem paying as long as it teaches me what I need)
I'd love to help, but I can't... I hope someone else can answer this!

Now, I'd just like to point out that with the Sequences update coming out (sometime in the next month or so?) and with DnD, GM is even more friendly to visual users and I think sequences in particular could be of a great deal of use to someone wanting to make a visual novel. However, before deciding how best to use GameMaker, why not try the different tutorials that have DnD and GML versions? Do both, then decide which one you think you'll be more comfortable with. :)

S

ShadowJacker

Well, technically you can do everything in DnD that you can do in GML, as there are special actions that permit you to call GML functions to do stuff that aren't available as custom actions. However, if you are using these actions frequently, then you might just be best to use GML. That said, with "pure" DnD you can still do a hell of a lot (and don't let anyone tell you otherwise! :p )

Yes, but with the caveat of the comment above.

I'd love to help, but I can't... I hope someone else can answer this!

Now, I'd just like to point out that with the Sequences update coming out (sometime in the next month or so?) and with DnD, GM is even more friendly to visual users and I think sequences in particular could be of a great deal of use to someone wanting to make a visual novel. However, before deciding how best to use GameMaker, why not try the different tutorials that have DnD and GML versions? Do both, then decide which one you think you'll be more comfortable with. :)
Thanks. Looking through them as we speak :)