• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Questions regarding release prep.

Texture Groups:
I've noticed that the default texture group does not allow for any of the target platforms to be selected; what does this mean? Everything is greyed out and checked, and can not be adjusted. What if I do not use the default texture group and only use groups that allow for these adjustments while not having any assets on the default? How would this effect things?
Regarding the texture groups that I am able to adjust... When I'm exporting to MacOS (my computer, for example), should I only check MacOS for all the texture groups, and then when exporting to windows, use a different copy of the project to do so?

Does anyone have a checklist for the IDE before exporting/creating executables for both MacOS and Windows? I'm on a Mac and trying to export the project to my desktop, but it doesn't show up. What might be happening here? I have VM selected in my attempts...
thx

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
The Default texture (and audio) group is always included, and will include any assets that are not assigned a user-defined group, and is automatically loaded during the game loading phase (rather than on-demand on first use). If they're empty because you've assigned everything to custom groups, nothing really happens, so you don't need to worry about it.

The reason why you have checkboxes for each export is because you might want to have some graphics change between platforms (e.g. platform logo, having lower-resolution graphics or more compressed audio for the mobile target so the game is less demanding, different versions of included files like DLLs, etc), but unless you have anything platform-specific you should have everything checked for every platform you want to port your game to.

Side thing that's good to know: having your loading screen graphic and title screen sounds in the default group ensures they're loaded when the game starts running, so you can use them while other things load in the background.

The Default texture (and audio) group is always included, and will include any assets that are not assigned a user-defined group, and is automatically loaded during the game loading phase (rather than on-demand on first use). If they're empty because you've assigned everything to custom groups, nothing really happens, so you don't need to worry about it.

The reason why you have checkboxes for each export is because you might want to have some graphics change between platforms (e.g. platform logo, having lower-resolution graphics or more compressed audio for the mobile target so the game is less demanding, different versions of included files like DLLs, etc), but unless you have anything platform-specific you should have everything checked for every platform you want to port your game to.

Side thing that's good to know: having your loading screen graphic and title screen sounds in the default group ensures they're loaded when the game starts running, so you can use them while other things load in the background.
Thank you for those tips and info.