• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Questions regarding moving from GM:S to GM:S2

N

Next Level

Hi everyone.
First post here, but an important one for me.

I am currently using GM: Studio pro to develop a side-scrolling platformer.
And it has come to my attention that it is rather dated and I want my game to be compatible and reasonably "future proof". So I am seriously considering upgrading to GM: Studio 2. So here's my questions:

Can I successfully convert my current project from GMS1 to GMS2 without massive rewrites of code? (this would be a deal-breaker if I cannot)

How do the different "modules" of GMS2 actually work? It seems to have changed from GMS1. I have the Desktop Windows, Mobile and Web modules for GMS1, but I seem to not be able to purchase those for 2, unless I have to buy them all separately one at a time now, which doesn't make sense.

Is there one purchase that includes all of those platforms that I have in GMS1?

Are there any other gotchas or pitfalls that I should watch for with this transition?

Thanks.

Can I successfully convert my current project from GMS1 to GMS2 without massive rewrites of code? (this would be a deal-breaker if I cannot)
You can convert from GMS1 to GMS2. The import/conversion process will create a load of compatibility scripts to replace obsolete functions, etc. But it would be recommended for you to go through and replace all of those compatibility scripts with the new functions, etc. Some people have found that their games have converted with no problems, others have had certain situations where they still have to change some of their code to work properly.

How do the different "modules" of GMS2 actually work? It seems to have changed from GMS1. I have the Desktop Windows, Mobile and Web modules for GMS1, but I seem to not be able to purchase those for 2, unless I have to buy them all separately one at a time now, which doesn't make sense.
You have to purchase them separately. Each one is just an additional target that you can export your game to. As far as I know there is not yet one purchase that includes all of the exports, but I haven't looked at the moment.
There is also a GMS2 sale going on at the moment with something like 20% off Desktop, and 10% off Web/Mobile/UWP exports.

Are there any other gotchas or pitfalls that I should watch for with this transition?
There are some bugs around with the runtime and IDE and although they are getting fixed, releases are not on a regular basis at the moment. Some things get quick patches, but a lot of the time there can be long periods without an update. This might be because YYG are focused on the final release for GMS1 to fix up as much as possible prior to the sunset, but I don't think anyone really knows.

N

Next Level

Thank you BaBiA Game Studio for that very detailed response.
I'm not too keen on having to rewrite a bunch of code for a game that is already past half-completion, although it may benefit me in the long run.

I'm also curious about the bugs you mention, specifically regarding the runtime. Could you elaborate a bit?
I know that I have had some issues with the YYC on my current version, which I worked-around by not using YYC -- but the runtime issues would seem more serious.

Thanks.