• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Steam Questions about setting up a project on Steam

Zahk

I'm having a hell of a time with getting my game setup for Steam, and it almost feels like they make it as obtuse as possible on purpose. I could use some help from people who've uploaded games to Steam before with a few essential questions I have:

1. I'm trying to test my achievements with the pre-release upload of my game, but they don't seem to be triggering. Are you not able to unlock achievements if your game isn't public yet? I have the achievements set up on Steamworks, ensuring that the name matches the name I use in GMS2, but when I tested it I didn't get the achievement pop up. Here's an example of how I have the code set up:

GML:
if(!steam_get_achievement("ACH_SLUG") and interact == true) {
    steam_set_achievement("ACH_SLUG");
}
2. Steam auto-cloud saving also does not seem to be working. Does the game need to public before it will cloud save, too? I'm pretty certain I have the directory setup correctly, but... it would be lovely if someone could give me the baby explanation, because the documentation is... difficult to comprehend. To me, at least.