• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Graphics questions about resolution

A

Amazing creature

Hi, I made my game port and view to be 1024x768 (the screen size of my pc) and it looks fine, but my question is, will it look the same on other computers? will it have black bars or conserve the aspect ratio?

And besides having it in fullscreen, can I also make the game in windowed mode without looking blurry?(since the sprites are being rescaled) I have seen games that have the option to choose the resolution, are the sprites redrawn in a bigger/tinier scale or they do something else? is it necessary to have multiple resolution options?

And for last, what's the best resolution?, I choose 1024x768 because I felt it was the right one (my sprites are quite big, because I use raster graphics the size of 96x150 ), do I need to choose a specific resolution so more people can have access to my game, or a game with any resolution can run on any computer?

I

icuurd12b42

16:9 is the ratio most have nowadays. 1024x768 is 4:3 so most people will have black bars playing your game fullscreen

I personally don't address non 16:9 ratio, call me lazy I guess. I don't see the point.

the default behaviour in studio, unless you disable the application surface, is that the game will create an application surface the size of the window... or the size of the full screen display if full screen. so if you run on 1080p display you will have a 1080p surface. Even if you was drawing a small region of the level (view in room)

when you draw something each sprite will be scaled to fit the application surface size, then the application surface will be transferred to the screen. so this makes each draw scale individually.

You can change the application surface size (see surface_resize) to the size of the view in room, then each draw will not be scales, only the final draw ill... You can also resize the application surface to the size of the port to the size of the app surface AND the app surface will be scaled to the size of the display (or window). each of these 3 setting have their advantages and disadvantages. it all depends on your game. the balance between blurriness and pixelation is playing with this setup AND setting the interpolation on or off in the settings... there is also Anti Aliasing you can play with (see display_reset) and your own shader for better scaling if you feel adventurous...

There is no choosing of the display resolution, unfortunately. the game will ultimately run at the (default) display resolution or at the window size...