• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Questions about online multiplayer (netcode)

S

super8bit

I'm new to GameMaker and have some questions:
1) Is online multiplayer something I will need to implement from scratch or there are tools to help me ?
2)How stable is a multiplayer game made with GameMaker?
3)If I needed to pay a third party to code it, how much can it cost? (I know this is a hard question to be answered but I want at least to understand how many time/effort is put into the code)

I don't have much experience with coding aside from Javascript, so I'm probably not the best person to code a "netcode".

Sorry if this question is repeated I searched the forum and found some other threads but none had the same questions.

Note: If this is the wrong place please feel free to move it.

Surgeon_

Symbian Curator
I don't know if this answers at least one of your questions, but adding multiplayer functionality on top of an existing game is usually nearly impossible or extremely tedious at best. Unless you have multiplayer in mind right from the start and build your game around it, I'd say don't bother with it.

How stable would it be? Well, if you code it properly it will run just fine.

About tools, there are some networking engines some other forum members made, but whether they could help you or not largely depends on how you want to structure your game (mostly if it would be peer-to-peer or hosted on a large master server).

S

super8bit

I don't know if this answers at least one of your questions, but adding multiplayer functionality on top of an existing game is usually nearly impossible or extremely tedious at best. Unless you have multiplayer in mind right from the start and build your game around it, I'd say don't bother with it.

How stable would it be? Well, if you code it properly it will run just fine.

About tools, there are some networking engines some other forum members made, but whether they could help you or not largely depends on how you want to structure your game (mostly if it would be peer-to-peer or hosted on a large master server).
I will have this in mind, I might get more comfortable with GameMaker first with single player games and try a online game later. As for the tools I would be interested in a link for some of those. Thanks for answering, very helpful!

Surgeon_

Symbian Curator
To be honest I couldn't tell you which networking assets are good or where you may find them (I always used game maker's built-in functions and built around those) but this looks like a good place to start.

J

Jaqueta

I recommend getting started with GMnet Engine, it's free, open-source and pretty easy to use and implement. It's not 100% flawless and does require some code to make it more stable (Such as interpolation and fixing de-sync issues), but you couldn't ask for better since it's free and contains a lot of cool features (Such as Hole Punching).

Just be aware that: online multiplayer, is really hard to do, regardless of engine, even for experienced programmers, unfortunately, there's no "Add Online Multiplayer" magic button xD, and you'll have to do a lot of testing and you'll be finding a lot of inconsistencies.

S

super8bit

I recommend getting started with GMnet Engine, it's free, open-source and pretty easy to use and implement. It's not 100% flawless and does require some code to make it more stable (Such as interpolation and fixing de-sync issues), but you couldn't ask for better since it's free and contains a lot of cool features (Such as Hole Punching).

Just be aware that: online multiplayer, is really hard to do, regardless of engine, even for experienced programmers, unfortunately, there's no "Add Online Multiplayer" magic button xD, and you'll have to do a lot of testing and you'll be finding a lot of inconsistencies.
Wow This looks amazing! Will be learning this for sure, seems like it is just what I needed! Thank you! God Bless you user!