• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Questions about game maker pro

• Thread starter VansiusProductions
  • Start date
V

VansiusProductions

Hi guys,
I'm very interested in getting game maker pro and I would like to hear your opinions on it. Also I have a few questions:
What's the difference when I buy it from yoyo games website and steam?
Can I make my games suitable for android, ios, mac with it? Or do I have to buy the modules (which are so expensive omg)
Can I make money with my games with pro?
Thanks for reading !

//I'm fairly new to gamemaker

A

Aura

What's the difference when I buy it from yoyo games website and steam?
When bought from Steam, you would get an additional module for the Steam workshop.

Can I make my games suitable for android, ios, mac with it? Or do I have to buy the modules (which are so expensive omg)
You get export modules for Linux (Ubuntu), Mac OSX and Steam Workshop bundled. But rest of the export modules (including Android and iOS) have to be bought seperately.

Can I make money with my games with pro?
YoYo allow you to make money with every version of GM:S, both Standard and Professional. Your game is your property and you are allowed to do whatever you want to.

V

VansiusProductions

When bought from Steam, you would get an additional module for the Steam workshop.

You get export modules for Linux (Ubuntu), Mac OSX and Steam Workshop bundled. But rest of the export modules (including Android and iOS) have to be bought seperately.

YoYo allow you to make money with every version of GM:S, both Standard and Professional. Your game is your property and you are allowed to do whatever you want to.
Thanks for the reply! Just a few more things: are the Android and iOS modules seperate?
Do you think it's worth the $150 to buy pro? (I'm considering buying it rn)

Ralucipe

Android and iOS are indeed separate.

It's a lot of money so it's only really worth it if you're truly ready to commit a lot of time and effort (I mean years).

RangerX

Well, all things considered, those modules are not expensive at all. You have no ideas how much money real devs and publishers need to put on the tables for liscencing and tools. Even just submitting your game for approval can cost dozens of thousands of dollars. If you really want to release an Android game, buy the module. Its the cheapest way to do it really.

Ralucipe

For a financially struggling indie developer, the amount of money it costs to buy a good computer and licenses for pro as well as each module and the developer licenses they come with (Steam, iOS cost $100 each) the price can be devastating.

Unless you're truly committed and you have a solid gameplan to get a return on your investment.

Vxss57

What are differences between free and pro version, i would hate to spend months on a game only to find i cant complete it due to restrictions.
Thanks

A

Aura

What are differences between free and pro version, i would hate to spend months on a game only to find i cant complete it due to restrictions.
http://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/216754968-Which-Version-Of-GameMaker-Studio-Is-For-Me-

https://docs.yoyogames.com/source/dadiospice/000_using gamemaker/versions.html

There are no such restrictions that would stop you from finishing your game. They key difference between the Standard and Professional versions of Studio is that you can't export to multiple platforms using the former. But nothing should stop you from coding a fully functional and desired game.