• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - GML Visual Questions about autotiles

B

Bridgeman

So I used RPG Maker a lot, but, tired of the constraints it has, decided to try out Game Maker.

I'm liking it so far but I don't really understand how autotiles work. In RPG Maker, I can use this autotile:

And use it on a map like this:

No idea how that works, but it does. However, it seems GMS2 does not have such internal magics, and you have to specify more tiles in order to get it work. The answer is probably no, but I'll ask just in case: Is there an easy way to convert it?

Second question: After I make an autotile in GMS2, and then use it in my room, for some reason 9 tiles are selected. Is it possible to "paint" autotiles with just one tile selected?

B

Bridgeman

It's a pretty nifty tool, but there's a slight problem I think... This tool creates an autotile of 47 autotiles, which is meant for wall and ceiling-type autotiles... The 16 autotile version is meant for grass and paths and such, which is what I have here.

gnysek

As for now, you need to draw edges manually, and then use fill tool to put grass/sand inside/outside. I have no idea of a better way.