• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Legacy GM Questions about 3D graphics

hijong park

I hadn't made any 3D games yet, so I wanted to learn to make some basic 3D games this time.

I want to make Wolfenstein 3D style FPS or TPS, Where there's no height involved in the gameplay and characters are drawed with 2D sprites.

Since I couldn't find any basic tutorials for GM:S 3D, I had to search for the ancient game maker 3D tutorials.

Currently I managed to implement Basic FPS controls, shooting, 3D maze and enemies. But there are some graphical problems:

1. Textures look incredibly ugly. I remember some 3D games made with game maker, including GunGodz and 8-bit fighter. They had clean and sharp pixel graphics like Wolfenstein 3D or other classic DOS games. How to make the textures look clean like those games ? "Interpolate between pixels" does not work.

2. when more than 2 sprites are in the same line, other sprites are shaded by the invisible part of the closer object's sprite. I have no idea why it happens, I made the sprites to be used for 3D.

The way i displayed 3D graphics are simple.

var tex;
tex = sprite_get_texture(sprite_enemy,image_index);
d3d_draw_wall(x-12*global.camsin,y-12*global.screencos,24,x+12*global.screensin,y+12*global.screencos,0,tex,1,1);

global.screencos and global.screensin are used to make the sprites always face the camera, like sprites in Wolfenstein 3D does.

marasovec

Well then that's pretty strenge. I don't know anything else that can cause blurred textures. I also tried to google some answers but I found nothing

M

Misu

If its not the texture_set_interpolation option and its not the draw_set_alpha_test at all, then it could be that you are using an entire texture page that over exceeds the texture size limit in the Global Gaming Setting. Try either raising that to complete large scale and make sure that your sprite images have the 3D texture checkbox selected in its sprite properties. Just remember also that your textures must be the size by the power of 2 (eg: 2x2, 4x4, 8x8, 16x16, etc...)