• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Question to people with more experience.

H

heanfry

I am about to creating a game.
It will be for mobile, but that doesnt matter.

My Question is:
With the Time my Project is getting bigger and bigger and i want to know if you guys can tell me something about and specific Structure in Gms?

I mean for example, how not to get a mess after time, because your objects are taking over and you loose your overview about anything.
Thats confusing and frustrating.

Thank you.

The-any-Key

Use folders in the resource tree.
Try try code in a way that makes repeated stuff easy to manage. Ex if you got a menu. Make it easy to add and remove buttons in the menu. Use scr_ obj_ spr_ in the resource names.

Last edited:

Genetix

test - haven't been able to post for some reason.
Edit: Sorry about that - I've been trying to post/reply here for a few days and couldn't for some reason.

I think the most important thing is to keep working your own way and start figuring out what works best. We all do our own weird things. For example most everyone uses global variables, but in every single project I start I have an object called "store" that is persistent, I use that object to create and track variables globally across the game.

Even though most of my projects are far different from each other, they all have a very similar underlying structure, one that took years to perfect (well at least make functional) and is still changing to this day.