• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Distribution Question regarding suicide/adult content on Google Play

Genetix

I have published a game titled "College Days" on Google Play - i'd love any feedback on it (free to download) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.genetix.College_Days

The game is a visual novel / Adventure - Your character has to make many choices everyday as they start college, each choice will have an impact on the rest of the story and how it branches out.

I am afraid that my story may be considered to adult or dark for Google Play at some point. I have already completed the ESRB rating for the game and mentioned that it contains references to Alcohol and vague sexual descriptions. I just wonder how far I can push it.

I have a character in the game that I am considering some things with... Mainly, I want to have this character commit suicide inside their dorm room at some point. I am worried that this may not be something that flies well and could potentially get my game suspended from Google Play altogether.

I have read over the developer policies a bit, but am wondering what approach you may take - or if it is an idea to scrap and not risk using.

Below are a few screens of my game if anyone is interested, any feedback really would help!

Last edited:
F

FabioF

if you don't want to increment the pegi level don't set an evident suicide but let the players imagine what is happening without , for example, too blood or explicit violence;
meanwhile searching for similar games, like karoshi, is a good way to understand how the creators handle that kind of games.

Genetix

That actually makes a lot of sense. I think that is probably the best to approach the problem, I have a really great story to tell but don't want to cut it back due to worries of being censored. Clever writing can help find a happy medium.

One day I want to do a Horror style visual novel, that could be a lot harder to write effectively.

I think it is still something worth discussing here in game design area - many games these days are telling more and more adult stories, and it can be a fine line to walk.