Question of copyright of parady.

Tsa05

@Misty I wrote you a full, lengthy post citing actual laws. The rest of this is all "I heard that some other guy did a thing with something and didn't get sued." I sent you the laws, you have your answer.

M

Misty

@Misty I wrote you a full, lengthy post citing actual laws. The rest of this is all "I heard that some other guy did a thing with something and didn't get sued." I sent you the laws, you have your answer.
I read your post, but it is a bit confusing and grey in some areas, the law usually is. I am not sure it actually contradicts the post I made underneath it. Can I have the full website or full page of the law, sometimes with laws you have to read the whole thing to get the full picture, rather just than excerpts and quotations.
Also, many laws contradict themselves and other laws.

Is this post a Don Quixote parody?

But seriously Misty. Your answers make me believe you keep asking until you get a yes instead of accepting all the no's you keep getting.

I'm counselling for a living. In many countries the answer to you question would probably be a no or maybe. If your project goes unnoticed it was not worth the effort. If it is noticed you'll be sued and if lucky only be forced to take your project offline in a settlement.

If you're sued its most likely going to be in the US which afaik means theres no limit to the lawyers costs and if you loose you might be broke for several years and have to take your project offline anyways.

Now let's say you do have a chance to win. Let's assume your lawyer thinks you might have a chance ... are you willing to take that financial risk of loosing?
If you can answer that question with a no, then find a 100% legal way to continue with your project. If you can answer that question with a yes, then just do it. Its not my money you're gambling with :)

But in any case where you continue be it clearly legal or maybe legal, talk to a specialized lawyer, explain in detail what you want to do, why you want to do it and what names, music and other assets you plan to use. The clearer you can explain all this to your lawyer, the better his or her answer will be and the less time you need to pay for.

M

Misty

But in any case where you continue be it clearly legal or maybe legal, talk to a specialized lawyer, explain in detail what you want to do, why you want to do it and what names, music and other assets you plan to use. The clearer you can explain all this to your lawyer, the better his or her answer will be and the less time you need to pay for.
What lawyers do you recommend I talk to?

Tsa05

Here's the...less confusing actual law:
https://www.copyright.gov/title17/

There are 13 chapters and 16 appendices for your reading pleasure. If, upon reading the law, you do not come to the same conclusions, then I suggest you contact a lawyer and pay them to explain to you why your reading of the law differs from the way that courts interpret it.

What lawyers do you recommend I talk to?
https://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/how-to-find-an-intellectual-property-lawyer.html

Toque

I had a game based on blocky Star Wars characters. The game was ok. At the end I didn’t think it was worth the potential copyright hassle so shelved it.

I also had a app company name Toque Apps. I found out later There is a AAA app company Tuque Apps.(French version). Similar logo and everything.

So I emailed them and apologized and told them of the mistake. They preferred that I changed my name but didn’t really care. I changed it and they emailed me and sent sent me their games for free and an invite to their studio in Montreal, Canada.

Copying knawed at me with guilt. It didn’t matter if it was right or wrong.

A lot of work that I didn’t use. At least your asking the right questions from the start. If you get the green light then you don’t have to worry and not be able to publish your game.

Last edited: