Question about UWP and Xbox One Export

MoisesWS

I want to know the differences between them and if its possible to create a game for Xbox One using only UWP or if I really need to purchase the Xbox One submission if I want to apply a game to ID@Xbox.

rIKmAN

I want to know the differences between them and if its possible to create a game for Xbox One using only UWP or if I really need to purchase the Xbox One submission if I want to apply a game to ID@Xbox.
See the table on this page: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/developers/creators-program/

It basically boils down to Creators Program (UWP) being able to use a retail console to develop on, having a less strict approval / certification process, not supporting XB Live Multiplayer or Achievements and not having Premium Support.

The final game / app will also appear on the UWP Store (and not the "proper" XBox Store).

There used to be some quite strict hardware / resource restrictions using UWP too, but they were much improved by Microsoft after launch: https://blogs.windows.com/buildinga...-windows-platform-games-fall-xbox-one-update/

The UWP module is a great way to get onto console if you don't want to / can't get accepted onto ID@Xbox (which is much more difficult and requires passing a concept approval process) and thus is much cheaper (module cost wise), but I would concentrate on making a game that people actually want to play first and foremost, and then worry about getting onto consoles afterwards.

The "official" more expensive "XB1 module" cannot be purchased and is of no use to you unless you are accepted onto ID@XBox anyway, so the next option would be UWP - which would have the differences I listed / linked above.

MoisesWS

I see. So can I use UWP to test my game into a Xbox One at least? But when it comes to export the game to the proper Xbox Store I will need the official module. Is that it ?

rIKmAN

I see. So can I use UWP to test my game into a Xbox One at least? But when it comes to export the game to the proper Xbox Store I will need the official module. Is that it ?
If you bothered to read the link I provided regarding the Creators Program you'd have seen that the question is answered in the Frequently Asked Questions section at the bottom of the page.
Why are my games from the creators Program being put into a seperate area of the Store?
On Xbox One, which offers gamers a curated Store experience, games published through Creators Program will be sold in the Creators Collection. This offers a balance between ensuring an open platform where anyone can develop and ship a game, and a curated Store experience consoles gamers have come to know and expect. On Windows 10, Creators Program games will be sold among all other games in the standard Microsoft Store.

If a Creators Collection game becomes popular and succesful, will it move to the standard Microsoft store?
Games created through the Xbox Live Creators Program will be distributed in the Creators Collection section of the Store.
A game developer can apply to transition from the Xbox Live Creators Program to the ID@Xbox program, bringing their game from the Creators Collection to the rest of the store.
Yes, using the GMS2 UWP export you can test your games on a regular retail XB1 by activating Dev Mode once you have registered for a Microsoft Dev Account which costs $19.

MoisesWS

If you bothered to read the link I provided regarding the Creators Program you'd have seen that the question is answered in the Frequently Asked Questions section at the bottom of the page.

Yes, using the GMS2 UWP export you can test your games on a regular retail XB1 by activating Dev Mode once you have registered for a Microsoft Dev Account which costs $19.

Well thanks for the answers. I read the link you provided. But it didn´t answer my question . My concern is what the official XB1 module have that the UWP doesn´t when it comes to export a playable build to the console.

rIKmAN

My concern is what the official XB1 module have that the UWP doesn´t when it comes to export a playable build to the console.
The second line in my original reply to you outlined the differences: "It basically boils down to Creators Program (UWP) being able to use a retail console to develop on, having a less strict approval / certification process, not supporting XB Live Multiplayer or Achievements and not having Premium Support."

If you want a more in depth explanation (found in 5secs by Googling): https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/ga...d/join-dev-program/developer-program-overview

However you don't really have a choice of which to use, because if you want to get onto ID@XBox then you will need to apply, pass concept approval and be accepted onto the program before you can even buy the module, so I wouldn't worry about which licence to use before you have either applied and been accepted or decided not to bother - in which case UWP is the only option left.