• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Linux Question about Ubuntu Module

Tommah

So I'm very confused about the Ubuntu Module. I have it set up to one of my Ubuntu PCs and I can test games just fine. In the Preferences I have it set to "install on Create Application" (I just left it checked so I'm not sure its right).

But when I go to actually Create an application and save as a .zip file on my computer, I can't figure out how to actually run it on a 2ND Ubuntu PC. However if I I go to the 1st Ubuntu PC that is linked to my GM studio its installed and I can run the game using a sh file. But in the created .zip file on my Windows PC there is no sh file to run.

I only ask because I'm trying to get a Linux version of my game on Steam (game was already greenlit and released on Early Access on Windows) and I just can't find any documentation on the best way to do it and I'm just getting confused and frustrated.

Any help?

*Edit*
Attached pic shows what was created in the Ubuntu zip file. I guess I'm just looking for an executable file or information on the best way to distribute a gm studio game for Linux.

Attachments

Last edited:

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
My guess is that the extensionless 'runner' file is the game runner, i.e. the executable. Will it run if you change its extension and try launching it as an executable? (And make sure its "okay to execute" file flags are set as well before trying)

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I'd say EXE, that's the standard extension for executables in Ubuntu as well as far as I know. sh is shell script, right? (I'm not really that savvy in how Ubuntu works despite having used it in school for years)

Tommah

actually you were right, "runner" is most certainly the executable file. I could've sworn I tried that 100 times, so this is embarrassing. Didn't have to change the extension at all. Thank you for responding, I'm not sure WHY it didn't work the last time I tried it because I just kept getting "unable to launch ..." error.