question about the future of gms 1.4 projects

G

Guest User

1) The question is probably trivial, but what can be done after creating a full-fledged project? (version 1.4)
2) Are there any rules for publishing your projects, where can you go to get noticed, where can you publish, on what conditions? (I will have a project in 3d)
3) What will determine the further fate of the project?

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
1) The question is probably trivial, but what can be done after creating a full-fledged project? (version 1.4)
You can do whatever you want with it. Sell it, gift it, whatever. At the least on PC platforms, you should be fine with compatibility for quite a while, unlike the mobile platforms.

2) Are there any rules for publishing your projects, where can you go to get noticed, where can you publish, on what conditions? (I will have a project in 3d)
There aren't any rules as far as Yoyogames is concerned. You can publish however you want, your own site, Steam, Epic Games, whatever. The catch is you have to comply with the rules for wherever you sell. That is not anything to do with the Gamemaker software though and applies to games made in any software that want to sell on those platforms. As far as getting noticed, you will want to read up on things like marketing, social media, and the like. There are likely other posts here where such things have been discussed in the past but you will need to search for them.

3) What will determine the further fate of the project?
YOU determine the future fate of the project, at least as far as what you control. I'm not sure what you are getting at though. But yeah, Yoyogames doesn't own your project or anything like that.

All that said, I've recommended to you in the past to upgrade to GMS2. I stand by that advice still. I'm not saying you need to convert your current project over(though it isn't a bad idea either since most things are compatible), but for the future I'd recommend it highly.

curato

If you haven't started that project yet I agree that you should move to GMS2. If you are almost done with a 3D project, you might want to finish there. I am not a huge 3D guy, but I think some of that changed as well as the shaders.

G

Guest User

What are the conditions for placing your project on the YoYo games website?

What are the conditions for placing your project on the YoYo games website?
Make an excellent game that yo-yo thinks is a good showcase for GMS. That’s it. There’s no step by step guide, and as far as I know, most people who apply get rejected (I know I did and there’s a few others on the board I know have been rejected).

G

Guest User

Do you know what the game should be to be published here? And does YoYo games publish it for a fee? That is, who specifies the price or is it free?

I saw a gallery of games made on gms on the site itself, but there is only a video of the game and a link to the official web page of the game, where, as I understand it, you can buy it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yoyo doesn't do game publishing. They only do a showcase. You can publish your game anywhere, but one of the more common places for the PC is Steam, though that costs $100. Free alternatives are gamejolt or itch.io.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
For 3D specifically, all "model" functions are painfully slow using GMS2 compatibility, and you should convert them to vertex buffers ASAP (it's relatively straightforward), most other stuff should just work.

(the compatibility functions create and destroy temporary vertex buffers, and this adds a lot of overhead)