• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker Question about sprite drawing at large coordinates

Kaliam

So I have noticed that if you have an object that is around 2,000,000+ X or Y in a room, you will start to see visual gittering whenever that object is moving or rotating. Image distortion also occurs when an object is drawn at an angle. I'm just curious why this happens and if there is a possibility of fixing it. I'm working on some games that I really would like to have a massive scale, even if it is just blank space between areas. You can make things pretty big within a -2,000,000 x 2,000,000 area, but it would be amazing to be able the use the entire -2147483647 x 2147483647 area that rooms allow you to use =D. I was more just curious why this happens and if it is possible to fix, or if there are plans to fix it.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
When you get over certain sizes you start to get into rounding errors from the numbers being too large to handle... which is why you have these "jitters" (and they will get worse the larger the x/y values). I would suggest that you reconsider how you are creating the game and instead look at creating a "chunking" system to load and flush areas from memory as the player moves around (without actually moving the player). If you don't know what that means then check out this video:

Kaliam

When you get over certain sizes you start to get into rounding errors from the numbers being too large to handle... which is why you have these "jitters" (and they will get worse the larger the x/y values). I would suggest that you reconsider how you are creating the game and instead look at creating a "chunking" system to load and flush areas from memory as the player moves around (without actually moving the player). If you don't know what that means then check out this video:

Thanks for the reply and the resource, the only issue with using a chunking system like this is that I want areas to be running in the background if there is something going on in that area. I suppose another fix for this might be allowing gamemaker to have more than one active room at once, but I don't see that happening any time soon. I'll be ok working within the limitations there are, I just want all the powers!!.

Thanks for the help!