Asset - Graphics Question About Selling Backgrounds and Graphics.

D

DrBattleDonkey

I'm planning to sell some graphics in a package on the marketplace (backgrounds, sprites and tile sets for platformers) Before I put anything up on the store, I'm wondering if anyone can offer some insight into the best way to package, organize and save sprites and background tile sets? After a little research I don't think there's really a "right" answer, but there's always a wrong way to do things, so any opinion on the best way to package 2D platformer graphics for the convenience of the user would be most appreciated!

I've looked through the marketplace for similar products and they all seem to be set up differently, but the trends tend to be...

1) A pack with every single sprite and background tile saved as it's own separate file, (Hundreds of files)

2) A pack with a series of separate sprite sheets and one large background tile sheet (A limited number of slightly larger files)

3) A pack with one or two master tile sheets, that contain every sprite and background image in the pack (One large file)

4) Mystery zip file users have to unpack and import themselves

Any insight or information about the best way to do this would be most appreciated!

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
4) Mystery zip file users have to unpack and import themselves
Lol! I've seen a couple of these and it is by far the worst option!!!! :)

My own preference would be for the sprites to be stored as individual frames (or at most sprite strips), and tilesets to be stored as themed sheets. So, your number (2) in the list is the closest to what I think is the best way to do it.

D

DKR_87

I'm with Nocturne. I'd prefer a nice, organized sprite sheet and tilesets as one large sheet. It's just convenience, really.

Unless that mystery zip file comes with a chance of unlocking Disney World tickets?.....***holds breath

D

DrBattleDonkey

Thanks for the input! I was planning something like number 2 so I'm glad I'm on the right track!

Might consider including a large master tile sheet as an option for convenience. My assumption had been that one big sheet would be more memory intensive, but that may not actually be the case, and if people want it, I'll be happy to make it.

G

Guest User

If I wanted to buy graphical assets, I'd like them to be ordered in the following order
  • Sprites ->
    • asset_name ->
      • spr_sprite_0
      • spr_sprite_1
      • spr_sprite_2
      • spr_sprite_n
  • Backgrounds ->
    • asset_name ->
      • bg_background_0
      • bg_background_1
      • bg_background_2
      • bg_background_n