iOS Question about making simple type of test project.

S

SuperKingNicolas

Hia, this is my very first time joining these forums. Though i'd like to ask for help on making a simple mobile project test for Game Maker 1.4 to get some sort of very basic grip on things.

It's basically where I have multiple lists to select from, can toggle on and off which ones I would like to select from. Then after I click a "pick" button, whatever lists are toggled on will have a random line of text from a list picked and then displayed it on screen on a certain area. Possibly with a reset button as well to clear what's displayed.

To elaborate: If I have color, shape, and number selected, once I press "Pick" it will select a random line of text from a list for each one and display them in that order. If I have color & number selected but not shape, it will only select a random line of text from those two in that order, etc. etc.

Sorry, as I know this is most likely very simple.. though my excuse is that it's my very first time here ;P

Tutorials with both coding as well as drag & drop would be much appreciated, thanks!

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
The first thing you'd need to do is create a "controller" object that holds your lists, which you would make using the DS List data structure (DnD here). Once you have that done, you'd need to create the "button" objects and have them detect a single mouse click (using the mouse PRESSED event). In that event you'd then pick a random number (DnD here) from 0 to listsize - 1 (DnD here), and this random value would be used to retrieve a string from the appropriate DS List (DnD here) for the button. Finally, in the controller object you'd want to get the strings from the button objects and then concatenate them for drawing (DnD here)...

Hopefully that'll give you enough to get you started. Post back with any issues and show what you've done so far so we can help further if required. :)

S

SuperKingNicolas

Hopefully that'll give you enough to get you started. Post back with any issues and show what you've done so far so we can help further if required. :)
A few things:

1. I noticed this says it's for GM Studio 2, I currently have GM Studio Pro 1.4. Will it still work the same or no?
2. Holy crap, didn't expect such a good reply... I posted this last night thinking i'd have a few days till someone sends a msg. Let me mess around with the beginner tutorials (as I've literally freshly installed everything yesterday and have no experience with it), and then i'll get back to you :p

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
:)

Okay, so yeah, the links are GMS2 and if you are using DnD then everything is different in 1.4 (sorry). The concepts and ideas and the GML code however are exactly the same...

S

SuperKingNicolas

:)

Okay, so yeah, the links are GMS2 and if you are using DnD then everything is different in 1.4 (sorry). The concepts and ideas and the GML code however are exactly the same...
Aww, that's a shame. *goes to look at GMS2 prices* Well then, jeez... *is in pain knowing there wouldn't be a cheap humble bundle for GMS2 until 1-2 years*

Welp, alrighty then. Once i'm done with these tutorials that come with 1.4 i'll look around some more! ;D

Oh, and thanks so much for being so friendly/the good help (not to mention I was surprised that the first help I got on the forum was from an admin as well :eek: ), thanks!