• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Windows Question about gamepad input.

R

Ratatosque

Im still very confused about the whole gamepad input system.
im using the asynchronous event to check for gamepads.

From what i've read i imagine that xinput is a windows thing that handles xbox 360 controllers and game maker reserves gamepad indexes of 0-3 for xinput. I now have an original xbox360 controller and a fake one but when i plug them, the asynchronous event gives them both indexes starting from 4. Does that mean the controller is not detected as a proper xbox360 controller?
i ask this because i need to know as which kind of controller my devices are detected so i can use the approbriate functions for the input. also, i guess it is more reliable to use only the xbox-controller functions instead of allowing the player to plug whatever gamepad he has and not specifically demand a xbox-controller. has something changed in this regard since the last update?

There is a bug right now with XInput devices that also cause them to register as DirectInput ones. It has been fixed, but hasn't been pushed to the stable/beta version yet, as far as I know.

R

Ratatosque

dude thanks for the info. thats a pity, i hope they upload the fix soon.