Quarantine Programming Help

H

HarmonicDwarf

Hi there. I've been trying to fix this game for about 4 months now. I'm new to Game Maker and only have basic programming knowledge. What I'm looking for is someone that is great with Game Maker, that is stuck inside, and is looking to just help a person get their first game up and running!!! I don't know if I'm thinking too hard, not hard enough, or perhaps just wrong entirely. Anyone that wants to hop in a discord chat and do a screen share and just bang out some issues that I'm running into would be fantastic!

I know I know... "Just google the problems" or "StackOverflow, we all learned how you can too." or "We can't do it FOR you".

I'm not looking for that. I'm looking for someone that can just push me in the right direction on my game. Someone that can go thru it and say "oh.... ya I see what you're trying to do, now let's try this." For a person just starting out it's sometimes hard to just google a solution for a few reasons. 1. Might not know the correct terminology. 2. There are a myriad of ways to do one thing. 3. Might just be thinking too hard!

So if you're willing to help, please drop me a line here, message me. And thanks in advance <3 :)

S

shrunkenmaster

I think you would have a better chance of help if you at least outlined the problem you are having here. I'm new to GM too and have been kindly helped on this forum.

It may take a while for a reply (I'm itching for a reply/help at the moment) but in the meantime I'd recommend making regular backup versions of your game, so you can go back to the last working version if you get in a mess.

Use the built-in manual if you're not already, you can highlight a command and press F1 for an explanation/example. I also learned a lot from making the example games like Space Rocks, which I'd also encourage you to do.

Good luck with the game.

H

HarmonicDwarf

I think you would have a better chance of help if you at least outlined the problem you are having here. I'm new to GM too and have been kindly helped on this forum.

It may take a while for a reply (I'm itching for a reply/help at the moment) but in the meantime I'd recommend making regular backup versions of your game, so you can go back to the last working version if you get in a mess.

Use the built-in manual if you're not already, you can highlight a command and press F1 for an explanation/example. I also learned a lot from making the example games like Space Rocks, which I'd also encourage you to do.

Good luck with the game.

Oh ya, I've done all of that. From posting on forums to joining Discord channels and sadly 9/10 I get sarcastic replies or just no reply at all. The issue here isn't just ONE problem it's that I think I may be making this all to ohard on myself, hence why I don't have a specific problem and why i was looking for broadstrokes assistance. But ya, I've done all of the above :) Thanks!

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Topic cleaned. We're here to solve problems, not cause them. :)

Due to the aforementioned reasons, I'm unsure if you'll be able to find someone here who matches what you're hoping for. However, you may be interested in joining the (unofficial) GameMaker: Helpers Discord - you may not necessarily find someone who will offer their aid for extended sessions there, but it's another venue to use to look for help. You won't get any "sarcastic replies" there as that server is literally dedicated towards helping people with their game development related problems.

Either way, I wish you the best of luck with your game!

H

HarmonicDwarf

Topic cleaned. We're here to solve problems, not cause them. :)

Due to the aforementioned reasons, I'm unsure if you'll be able to find someone here who matches what you're hoping for. However, you may be interested in joining the (unofficial) GameMaker: Helpers Discord - you may not necessarily find someone who will offer their aid for extended sessions there, but it's another venue to use to look for help. You won't get any "sarcastic replies" there as that server is literally dedicated towards helping people with their game development related problems.

Either way, I wish you the best of luck with your game!
Thank you so much for doing that. As mentioned, I know what I'm asking for isn't ideal. I'm not looking for private tutoring just someone to look and tell me if I'm on the right track or not. I apologise for letting those replies get to me. I'll join the discord as well.

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
I disagree with sarcastic comments, in my experience with the forum, this hardly exists, but you also need to be careful not to ask too many basic questions, which just by looking at the help itself (F1) could be clarified.

I suggest that you also do a quick search on Google itself, as it may be that someone has already done a topic related to your question, this can avoid duplicate topics and other problems.

But good luck with your project, I hope you get what you want.