• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Q's on Infinite Runner Game

C

Chris S.

Hey guys,
I'm new to the forum and programming with GML in general, but I've learned a lot through tutorials and whatnot. The current project I'm working on is an infinite runner. Any tips on the mechanics (more specifically terrain that spawns for the character to collide with/jump onto)? Also, how can I scale the game window to automatically fit the screen without stretching the objects out of proportion?

Thanks so much!
~Chris S.

V

veko

For scaling the window you should use views, they are located on the room options and you can watch a tutorial for them, it's really simple!
If i understood correctly, you want randomly generated levels right? In that case you should tell me something more about the game (is it a platformer, is it topdown, do you want the jumps to be precision based or will the game play more like an action speedrun?)

C

Chris S.

For scaling the window you should use views, they are located on the room options and you can watch a tutorial for them, it's really simple!
If i understood correctly, you want randomly generated levels right? In that case you should tell me something more about the game (is it a platformer, is it topdown, do you want the jumps to be precision based or will the game play more like an action speedrun?)
Thanks for the advice!

The game is a platformer, so I suppose action speedrun sort of jumps would be closer to the mark.

V

veko

Thanks for the advice!

The game is a platformer, so I suppose action speedrun sort of jumps would be closer to the mark.
ok, so this type of randomly generated enviroment would be relativly easy to create, you wanna make around 20 basic "platform shapes" that player can jump on, but htis is very important: they all gotta match players movespeed and jump height and all complement each other, then you can simply create those objects, you can use the distance to create them or alarms it up to you! I know it's possible to code shapes that create themselves but since you said youre a beginner i guess that's little too big for you :)

C

Chris S.

ok, so this type of randomly generated enviroment would be relativly easy to create, you wanna make around 20 basic "platform shapes" that player can jump on, but htis is very important: they all gotta match players movespeed and jump height and all complement each other, then you can simply create those objects, you can use the distance to create them or alarms it up to you! I know it's possible to code shapes that create themselves but since you said youre a beginner i guess that's little too big for you :)
Thanks again for the tip, I really appreciate it.

C

Chris S.

And yes, it probably would be a bit advanced right now ;)

C

Chris S.

Np! Just don't give up!
I do have another problem now, the previous one being solved...
To be extra specific, my game features pixel graphics. The player wields a weapon that can be rotated anywhere within a 360-degree radius, depending on where the mouse is. The problem is this: whenever the weapon rotates, the pixels get all uneven and distorted to try to match the rotation setting. Any way I can fix that?

V

veko

I do have another problem now, the previous one being solved...
To be extra specific, my game features pixel graphics. The player wields a weapon that can be rotated anywhere within a 360-degree radius, depending on where the mouse is. The problem is this: whenever the weapon rotates, the pixels get all uneven and distorted to try to match the rotation setting. Any way I can fix that?
yes! go to your game settings (located on resource tab there is file called "macro" and underneath that file is global game settings) go to widows tab (or whatever operator you are using) and on the left side there will be graphics card, there should be a checked option called something like: Interpolerate colors between pixels, uncheck it. That should solve the issue :)

C

Chris S.

yes! go to your game settings (located on resource tab there is file called "macro" and underneath that file is global game settings) go to widows tab (or whatever operator you are using) and on the left side there will be graphics card, there should be a checked option called something like: Interpolerate colors between pixels, uncheck it. That should solve the issue :)

Well it was unchecked, but the sprite still looks funny, like, it jumbles up the pixels a bit whenever it rotates into any position besides its original sprite direction (I assume it has something to do with the res) I already understood that the "interpolate pixels" or whatever was bad for pixel graphics, but this seems different.

C

Chris S.

I here's a picture of what I mean...

Attachments

V

veko

I here's a picture of what I mean...
i am sorry, this can only be changed manually because this isn't game makers fault since it rotates the image and since it's in pixelart it has to rotate the pixels, the reason they look wierd is becuase if you automatically rotate something pixelated it will look strange in general, i would suggest you chaning the rocket design to something more sphere-shaped since game maker is rotating the spirte correctly.

C

Chris S.

i am sorry, this can only be changed manually because this isn't game makers fault since it rotates the image and since it's in pixelart it has to rotate the pixels, the reason they look wierd is becuase if you automatically rotate something pixelated it will look strange in general, i would suggest you chaning the rocket design to something more sphere-shaped since game maker is rotating the spirte correctly.
Ah okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the help! :)

C

Chris S.

No problem! btw wanna add me on twitter/discord/any other chatting social media?
I don't really do very much social media (of course I might if I ever finish this game)... could we chat on here, perhaps? I understand you can start conversations with other forum users.

Last edited by a moderator: