"Pxurvive" | A procedurally generated 'survival' game (now with Spine :) )

Fredrik

Pxurvive (working title)
A survival'ish game with focus on hunting, farming and mining.

*Because of the forum's media limits most upgrades will be posted in the commets below!*

Pxurvive is a pixel-styled 'survival' sandbox game in a infinite randomly generated free-form world. This means that the world is using instance-based world generation with free forms, over grid-based tile generation.
This is, at the moment, most visual with water and cliffside generation, as seen in screenshots here.

In all honesty, this project is very inspired by an awesome mmo; Haven & Hearth. And will are, and will be features that you can also se in that game. An example of this is how you can use different resources to decide how structures you build will look; If you wanna build a log cabin and you built it out of spruce logs, your cabin's log walls will also have a spruce log texture. This rule also follows for the roof, door, and any other part of whatever you are building.
Another example of a similar feature to H&H is if you chop down a tree it will simply fall to the ground, duh! And you will then have to split it into logs before you can transport the wood anywhere. You can also split the log further into either firewood or planks, instead if simply beeing able to just punsh the tree to get wooden material, as seen too often in suvival games, in my opinion.

The game's inventory is also inspirted by H&H, but can also be compared to other games like Diablo or EFT, where different items will take up different amounts of space in your inventory based on how big the item is. An apple might only take one slot, but a chestplace might take 6 (2x3).

Building:
Building is very easy. Open the building menu with 'B' (by default). Here you can find different tabs like buildings, furnitures, vehicles and more, with a list of different structures that you can build. These can simply be placed into the world as blueprint constructions which you can then drop the needed resources into by right-clicking the construction and clicking the desired button. There is also a few constructions which can be scaled at will, like fences and walls, which you can just stretch with the cursor in your desired direction.

Crafting:
The crafting menu is an 'excact' copy of the building menu, but mirrored, which can be opened by pressing 'C' (by default), but instead of being able to access different tabs for whatever you wanna craft you might have to use a crafting bench to access that tab.
An example of this is how you can only craft the most primitive item in the default crafting menu, and have to use a workbench, forge, anvil, stonecutter and more to craft more specific items.

Farming (as of writing this in August) is the most recent addition to the game, but still in it's early stages.
To start farming you will first have to prepare the soil by plowing it. To plow the land you will either have to craft a hand-plowing tool, or build a plowing machine. The plowing machine is currently the only tool to plow at the moment.
With this you can freely plow the ground in any shape or form, and this area will determine where you can and cannot plant seeds. Seeds can either be planted freely where you want (within the plowed are ofc) or placed in a grid, for those who prefer more structure! Crops will slowly grow over time. And the plan is for them to also grow while you are not playing.

Anything beyond this like hunting, combat and mining are still in the planning fase.

Last edited:

woodsmoke

Looking good, especially the trees and the grass.

I'm making sth. that's similar (setting and view), but still different (art and gameplay).
But I need to finish my current project first before I really get into it.

Are you going for realistic survival (no zombies or other fictional monsters)?
Will the game be limited to stone age technology?

Fredrik

Thanks, to all of you :D
There will probably be some fictional stuff, but Im not sure yet. No it won't but it probably wont go past medieval technology.

Fredrik

Updated the generation to a true chunk-based world generation! Read more about it at the top of the thread.

Fredrik

First presentable version of a proper crafting menu. A crafting recipe can request specific ingredients, but also 'any' of a type of ingredient.
Also showing off a toolbelt I have been working on.

Fredrik

Here's just about 10 minutes of unedited gameplay from my 'farming and survival' game "Pxurvive" (working title. Got any cool names? ;) )
(no sound yet, sorry)
It's a game about settling in the wilderness, with in-depth crafting and building, and it's very inspired by "Haven & Hearth".

Fredrik

Here's a couple screenshots of the new cliffside biome I'm working on, and something I just wanted to test for fun turned out to look alot better than expected. Currently working on adding even more variation in the generation, and trying to come up with ideas vegetation that could fit into this biome.

Fredrik

Here's a 'sneak peak' at 'fence and wall building version 2' as I like to call it, which fixes alot of bugs with the fence and wall building system. With this I have also added a palisade wall so you can protect your farm from wildlife, and I have also added wall building inside houses! The biggest feature I have been working on lately is being able to actually enter the houses you have built, which was a time consuming challenge, but a much needed core feature!

Fredrik

Here's a few minutes of unedited gameplay (with cheats may I add) to showcase some of the new elements of base building, like 'Fence building V2' and house interiors, and more!

The old fence building system was buggy and ugly, so I remade it! With it comes additional walls, like a palisade wall, and log walls which you can build inside houses.
In short, how the system works is that it uses a for loop to draw the given sprite of the fence / wall based on much long you scale it in your desired direction, but the actual object itself just stretches the xscale / yscale, meaning that when you stretch a wall it's still only one instance. A part of Fence building V2 that I didn't show in the video is how animals and enemies (when I add them) can break holes in your fences or walls if they are angry at you :mad: To test this I've just made it so I can just click the fence somewhere and it destorys that point of the fence, splitting the fence into two instances, with the current fence spawning a new identical fence, at 'one scale' next to where I clicked, and then scales the original fence back to 'one scale' just before where I clicked.

The house interior system took some time to build, as it has to be able to create a new interior space every time you build (or in my case, spawn) a new house or building. It wasn't that hard to make, but it was abit complicated.
In this system it doesn't matter what house you go into, as you will always be taken to the same room at the same position (a room just called rm_inside). The difference is what save file it will load from and save to. It will both save and load from a file which it identifies with a unique ID given to the house / building you're in. In this save file it both saves and loads stuff like how big the interior is, what materials that are used (so the inside walls will match the outside etc.), and everything that you are building, have built, and have placed inside that house.

Here's a few plans I have for the near future:

Fence building V2:

Adding additonal walls and fences:
  • A stone variant of the current wooden fence (will probably cost 1 stone ea. scale, as the wooden fence costs 1 stick ea. scale).
  • Fortress wall / stone palisade / castle wall. As the current wooden palisade wall, but made out of stone :) (will cost 1 liftable boulder ea. scale, and will probably be a late game wall).
House interior:

Additional furnitures and home upgrades:

• Home upgrades are constructions that can only be built inside, like a chimney, house walls, windows, and probably more at some point. Some of these will also be visible outside (like if you build a chimney inside you'll also see it on the roof outside).
  • Additional furnitures. The only furnitures atm is the chest (as shown in the video) and a stump box, which is an early game storage container.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Here is a short unedited video to showcase some early stages of farming! To start farming you will first have to prepare the soil by 'free-form' plowing it, as I like to call it, and then plant seeds. You can either place seeds where you want (within the plowed area) or sow them in a grid, for those who prefer more structure ;)

When you start plowing the land the plowing system will create a surface in your current chunk, which you will then draw onto. The plowing machine will then draw a simple 'soil sprite' on it's position and rotate it with it's direction.
When you stop plowing or move the plower into a new chunk the current plown area will then be saved as .png file and then used as a sprite for that chunk's crop controller. This sprite is then used as a precise collision mask to determine what area can be used for farming and not.

Fredrik

Here's a couple of videos from when I first added randomly generated bodies of water, and much it has improved over the year!

Last edited:

PinkySwear

this is dope! i love it! a little bit too pixelated for my personal taste, but hell i like the coding you've done there, pretty cool stuff!

Fredrik

A few month ago I was considering buying Spine, but I never actually did. But a week ago I bought it and it has really kickstarted some features in this project.
I have redone all the trees in spine to feature their own unique animations, and I have also added a system that will add any item in the game as an attachment to the skeleton animation, so you can holdany item in your hand, not just tools and weapons. With this, a full equipment system with a equipment menu and armor / clothing appearing on the player will be right around the corner!

Hei, The game you do is very impressive, the survival genre is always fascinating and your game also makes me very curious. I want to ask you, do you use it as an object with the ground you plant on, or just a tile or background?

Fredrik

Hei, The game you do is very impressive, the survival genre is always fascinating and your game also makes me very curious. I want to ask you, do you use it as an object with the ground you plant on, or just a tile or background?

Thanks :) Its an object. If you start plowing the ground the chunk you are in will create a 'crop controller' object which will control all farming related activities in that chunk. Then, when plowing the ground with a plower, you will 'paint a trail' after the plower onto a surface, which will then be saved as a sprite and used as a collision mask to determine where you can and cannot plant seeds.

I made a comment with it in August (posted above somewhere)

Video:

Oh, thanks for letting me know. I have been following your game and I realized that this game has a very large map, so you have to put a lot of objects as ground in this map right? So to optimize it, you must use deactivate/activate those earth objects. But even if you deactivate/activate, with so many objects like: trees, ground, ... is there anything you can do to optimize your game other than deactivate/activate? Sorry if this bothers you. Also, the way you make the water is very nice (with water it's a moving tileset right? I don't think the water will be the object but it will be the tileset).

Fredrik

Oh, thanks for letting me know. I have been following your game and I realized that this game has a very large map, so you have to put a lot of objects as ground in this map right? So to optimize it, you must use deactivate/activate those earth objects. But even if you deactivate/activate, with so many objects like: trees, ground, ... is there anything you can do to optimize your game other than deactivate/activate? Sorry if this bothers you. Also, the way you make the water is very nice (with water it's a moving tileset right? I don't think the water will be the object but it will be the tileset).
The worlds are procedurally generated, with no limits to how large they can be (atleast not set by me), so for the game's intent and purposes I could consider the world infinite in size.

There is no ground objects really, but the world is divided into chunks, as seen in Minecraft for example. Everything outside the view + a set offset is deactivated, and then everything outside a set 'chunking border' is saved by the chunking system and then deleted.

The water is actually also generated with instances. All though I was really proud if how water is generated when I made it, I think it's outdated by now, and I have a few ideas on how I could redo water generation to not rely on using instances, all though it only uses a few instances and doesn't really affect performance. So for now I'm not interested in remaking / fixing something that is not broken 😁

The only part of the world that is tile-based is the grass and the crops that you plant.

Fredrik

Hi, looks cool. How's size of character ( Maybe is 16px)? And how about size of your room?
Thanks :) before using Spine, the character sprite was 16x17px. Room size is 480x270px, but is irrelevant to the project. Could might as well have been 1px in size.

Last edited:

River

Thanks :) before using Spine, the character sprite was 16x17px. Room size is 480x270px, but is irrelevant to the project. Could might as well have been 1px in size.
Really? I found your room too large, at first I thought your room size should be: width: 2500, height: 2500. When you said room size is 480x270, I was a bit surprised. Keep up the good work 💪

Fredrik

Really? I found your room too large, at first I thought your room size should be: width: 2500, height: 2500. When you said room size is 480x270, I was a bit surprised. Keep up the good work 💪
Thanks 😁 as I mentioned above the world is infinite in size, so the player can move outside the room borders, so the room size doesnt really matter.