• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Design Putting enemies in their place; a question about how

S

Snayff

Afternoon all,

I am currently working on adding enemy patrols to my game. If you want to keep them on the naughty step, specifically the platform on which they currently reside, how would you approach that?

I tried telling them to move in a direction until they find the floor no longer beneath them and then to back track a step, however I am having some implementation challenges!

What would you focus on to make sure the message struck home and wasn't ignored? Are there particular things you would emphasise? (My metaphor may be stretching a bit far now...)

-Snayff

Notes:
Tile based collision
Side on view

Genetix

Most in game enemies have very simple lives - often lives that are not worth much and easily disposable. For those kinds of enemies the very basic joys can be very motivating. I would let them know that if they don't stay on the correct route, and turn around at the pitfalls that they won't be getting dinner, or allowed to watch movies that night. AI is generally not that complex, but playing to their emotions can go a long ways. I still feel a bit sad when hundreds of enemies troops are sent to their deaths at the walls of my archers in Soul Defender.

S

Snayff

Whilst those lost lives is sad at least they did as they were told!

My desire to lock them in a small area through telling them to look for edges of platforms didnt seem to work (in my implementation). Any suggestions on alternatives?