• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Publishing

H

Hunter Bickel

I need to be sure.
So I can essentially just publish a game from Gamemaker 2 Desktop Edition with nothing like giving some money to the company like with Unity or something?

D

dannyjenn

You don't need to pay any fees to YoYo Games.

However, if you plan on exporting to Mac, I'm pretty sure you need to pay Apple for a developer's license. I forget how it works. But if I remember correctly, GameMaker doesn't even let you export to *.app if you don't have the Apple developer's license. (The developer's license is subscription-based. I think one or two hundred dollars for a year, and then you need to pay again each year when it expires. Kind of a ripoff, but I did it last year because I needed to export an early prototype of my game for a school assignment :( Now my Apple license is expired so I'll need to pay again once I get around to finishing the game.) Additionally, if you plan to export to Mac *.app then you'll need a Mac.

As for other platforms, I don't know. (Never tried exporting to Windows or to anything else.)